Civil Service - Success Profiles

Options
Helping a family member with job searching and have just found that the Civil Service has moved away from competency based examples onto 'success profiles'.

I've downloaded the guides but they don't really explain how you should formulate the examples on application forms.

Do they still want a STAR example or have things moved away from that?

Ayone in CS recruitment able to help explain the changes please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pensioned_Off
    Options
    Isn't there anyone here from the Civil Service that can help with the new system?

Thanks
  • Floop
    Floop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The behaviours are like competencies but with less rigid descriptions. Stick to the STAR method.

The biggest changes are the strengths based questions at interview. Also some vacancies have technical requirements (e.g. if you’re applying to be a government lawyer). There is often now a bit on the application where they want to know about how your skills and experience fit the job criteria, this is separate from the behaviours and would be more like a CV. Sometimes they ask for a CV.
  • Floop
    Options
    Happy to help more if you need some more specific guidance - I’ve been through success profiles both as an applicant, campaign manager and interview panel member,
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Sounds like something from The Thick of It. But then doesn't everything these days?!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I filled out an application for the Civil Service recently (didn't get the job but got an interview). For me, I provided work related examples to fit in with the different scenarios / questions on the application form.

It wasn't a quick job, I did have to put in a lot of effort but it got me an interview. (think my lack of appropriate work experience cost me the role).
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    Your question makes me feel for you. I was turned down for the fast stream in the MOD after the psychologist would not accept my statement that the North of England tends to be colder than the South. After twenty minutes of “but why do you think this is valid” in the face of explaining watts per square metre, sea temperatures and moisture levels in the atmosphere we were at an impasse.
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would stick with the STAR technique. ����
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Evening

Can you kindly tell me if examples of success profiles can be found anywhere?

Thank You.
  • Floop
    Options
    What do you mean by examples of success profiles? Success Profiles is the whole recruitment programme.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Floop wrote: »
    What do you mean by examples of success profiles? Success Profiles is the whole recruitment programme.

That's not how it's been communicated to us, "success profiles provide a core outline of the role (replacing the generic role profiles), key responsibilities and formal qualifications needed, and importantly provides you with a map of technical competence and behaviours required to be successful. You will use your success profile alongside your objectives and/or local work instructions to understand what you need to demonstrate to be successful in your assignment"
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family