2 for 1 glasses offers query

Options
I don't wear glasses but recently my eyesight for reading has deteriorated hugely, unless on a back-lit screen i can barely read text.

I have booked an eye test and expect to be told i need glasses. My mum is also looking for some new glasses after recently getting a new prescription.

It may be a bit of a cheek but i was wondering with all these 2 for 1 offers around at various online retailers, if you can do this cross prescription? so my pair i pay for and get my mum's free:money:

If not are there any recommendations for good retailers online for glasses
Where the !!!! has the Shrug gone! :confused: just doesn't cut it... :huh::think::huh: and these don't come close

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chompie wrote: »
    I don't wear glasses but recently my eyesight for reading has deteriorated hugely, unless on a back-lit screen i can barely read text.

I have booked an eye test and expect to be told i need glasses. My mum is also looking for some new glasses after recently getting a new prescription.

It may be a bit of a cheek but i was wondering with all these 2 for 1 offers around at various online retailers, if you can do this cross prescription? so my pair i pay for and get my mum's free:money:

If not are there any recommendations for good retailers online for glasses

One at least was offering that just recently.

Generally though 2 for 1 offers are intended for people who need both reading and distance glasses or want both normal glasses and sunglasses made to the same prescription.

Given that prices for single vision coated lenses in a limited range of basic frames start at £6.00 and that the 2 for 1 offers may only apply to the more expensive ranges it is worth doing your sums carefully.

I have used SelectSpecs many times and have been very happy, including ordering varifocals.

One point though, you will need to adjust the frames yourself to fine tune the fitting. This is particularly true with metal frames where the individual nose pads will need adjusting to get a good and comfortable fit. If you don't have the tools and skills to do this yourself you might need some help. One online site cheekily suggest getting your local optician to do it! I don't know how willing they will be!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure