PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Addicted_to_Spending
    Options
    Had a chance to go to A!di today and spent £56 there after doing a menu plan for the next 2 and half weeks and checking what we already had in (included £5.99 on beer for DH as he can't seem to do without this!). This is good as to keep within budget this month, I only had £68 left. This leaves me £12 and I still need to buy some things, particularly fresh stuff, but I'm hoping that I'll come in at least nearly within budget :).

Yesterday, we had a lovely meal out in a French restaurant as DH had been given restaurant vouchers when he left his last job. It ended up costing us 25p for the 4 of us and we were stuffed!
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Just done an online shop with MrA, which has provisonally come in at £57.70 :eek: Will update my sig once it has been delivered on Tuesday and I confirm the exact amount. My budget is going to be tight I think this month, but I have had to buy a lot of cleaning products and other sundries that aren't technically food, but do come out of the budget.

Hopefully I shouldn't need any such things next week, so I'm aiming for that shop to come in under £45.

Have kind of made a meal plan for next week's dinners, hoping to start getting the hand of meal planning and that it will help me cut back on SM spending!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Low spend today - a grand total of £0.56 on a pint of milk :) Still doing better than I thought so am pleased with that. Plus have been for a 5 mile walk today so am feeling well pleased :D

Tea tonight is last night's chicken & bacon pie, reheated, with mash. Have a lovely evening, everyone. Hi to anyone new :)

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Low spend today - a grand total of £0.56 on a pint of milk :) Still doing better than I thought so am pleased with that. Plus have been for a 5 mile walk today so am feeling well pleased :D

Tea tonight is last night's chicken & bacon pie, reheated, with mash. Have a lovely evening, everyone. Hi to anyone new :)

K xx

That pie sounds lush!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Guppycaz
    Guppycaz Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    You could make a hm BBQ sauce (squirt of ketchup, dash of worcester sauce, dash of tabasco and a slosh of vinegar whisked in a jug - adjust to tanginess of choice).

Then marinade the pork (cover the belly pork with the sauce and turn them over to coat). When you're ready pop them in a medium oven (170c) for about 45 minutes to an hour (the longer the better with Belly but make sure it isn't burning). I do this in the lid of a pyrex casserole so the sauce dries up a bit and becomes sticky

Meanwhile you cook your veg.

You said you're not very experienced so hopefully my explanation is easy to understand. Whatever you do, belly is best cooked longer and slower (on a slightly lower heat) as it is a cheaper cut and the long cooking helps to tenderise it

Good luck
    SL

Yummy!! Fussy eater DS loves BBQ sauce so think he meet try it too.

Perfect explanation, I think even I can do this :rotfl:

Thank you Suffolk Lass
    Grocery Challenge: June £92/£500
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    I made this lovely sweet potato and carrot soup using some very sad looking veg and it is lush! I will have it for lunches this week. In the end I had to add more hot water as it was reeeeeally thick, so have made tonnes.
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • purplesheila
    purplesheila Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2012 at 10:56PM
    Options
    04/06/2012 L!dl Ice Cream £ 1.49 (Kids after a day out at park)
    05/06/2012 £Stret***s-Cleaning £ 4.98
    05/06/2012 MR M's Food £ 2.54
    06/06/2012 ALD! Snacks £ 2.20 (Cinema Trip)
    07/06/2012 ALD! Food £ 50.00
    £Stret***s Toiletries £ 1.98
    07/06/2012 A&M Household £ 1.99
    08/06/2012 A&M Household/Toiltries £ 1.70

Total £66.88

I seem to have spent much more than I wanted this week. The kids have been off on 1/2 term which always seems to make you spend more - so I will have to rain it back in later in the month.

I have a food plan, so no shopping required till Thursday (My weekly shopping day)

Better hope next week :-)
    April Grocery challenge £0/£160 (17th April-30th Apr)
    NSDs - 0/14
  • debbiedeejay
    debbiedeejay Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good evening all - am trying to catchup on a weeks amount of posts as my internet has been playing up -very intermittent and very annoying. Can't do a lot about it,have tried honestly - but it's due to thick cottage walls and a very old BT exchange in the next village!:o

Anyway need to declare two lots of Friday shoppings at Mr M's which came to a total of £82.87.

Youngest DD finishes school in next few weeks,she is going onto to further ed like her sisters but it will feel weird not having that "proper" normal school timetable to stick to -uniforms,9-3.30 timetables......but still will have three pack ups to sort out though!I can see that summer meal planning is going to be hard - not knowing if kids will be in or extra mouths to feed etc might mean last minute changes to meal times. hmmm not looking forward to that bit.

No real bargains to had just lately(but that's because have stayed away from shops!) but was given a handful of very young just picked Asparagus by neighbour passing them on who doesn't like it - just steamed it on top of rice cooker and had them as starter with butter.Definitely summer on a plate:)

Oh and my fridge is still leaking under the bottom of the salad drawer- can't work out whats going on, have unblocked the tap bit at the back, hope it's not on way out:o

Catch you all later:)
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I know some of you have mentioned you shop in places like DR or Westin Gourmet.

I've never used them before but I'm not sure if this offer will come in useful to anyone or if it's only a London deal: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/58-london/deals/312340-barbecue-meat-and-fish-hamper
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • tjp70
    tjp70 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The wedding we attended was absolutely lovely and we managed to do the weekly shop once we got home. We went to Mr A (I usually shop at Mr T but its about 5 miles further away) and spent £52.00 which I am pleased with. I just need to stick to the meal plan and all will be well.
    If Plan A fails, remember there are 25 more letters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport