Got the court forms

Options
OK so that company that we owe £1250 for our bathroom has taken it to court and we got the papers. What do I do now? We dispute that we owe the whole amount because of the shoddy work etc and our I&E form shows we have no money for creditors, we rent a council house and have no assets, should we offer to pay back £5 a month of what we think we owe or see if they make my husband bankrupt? We have credit card and loan debts totalling £65,000 also which we can't pay.

Comments

• shameless-about-money
    Options
    Are you wanting to go bankrupt to clear your debts totally?
  • plumduff-2
    Options
    Up to you really... you could simply fill in the N9 - admission part of the form, make an offer - £1 per month if on benefits and then apply for bankruptcy...

Or,

Fill in the counterclaim, if you doing this, you may need an independant report from a rival firm with an estimate of costs as to how much it will cost to put right... You may also need photographiv evidence (for the court) to show how shoddy the work is...
    Hi - im a member of the Debt Help UK FORUM...
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    if the work had not been shoddy, how were you going to pay for it?

I don't really understand whether you are saying you can't afford to pay (in which case why order it) or whether the quality is so poor you don't want to pay.

I also thought the council would be responsible for the bathroom in a rented property.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Grandma23
    Options
    It is the quality of the work and the fact they have charged us for items they have not used! Also we are entitled to put a new bathroom and kitchen in this house which we have done both of now and I needed to have the bathroom re-fitted because of my disability and we weren't eligible for a grant through social services because my husband earns too much!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure