Is this correct for a Per Annum Role?

Options
Rhodog2612
Rhodog2612 Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi there everyone, I hope you are all well!

I have recently applied for a job role which is advertised as being £15,404 Per Annum (Not Pro Rata) for 18.25 Hours a Week in a hospital.

I've always been confused with Pro Rata and Per Annum, and so during the interview I did ask what Per Annum meant - I was told that it basically meant that the £15,404 is what I would get, divided by 12 months. I therefore worked out that this would be £1,283.66 per month without deducting any taxes or national insurance etc...

Can this be right? I've received the full letter accepting me for the role, and it still does say "Your salary will range from £15,404 to £15,671. The starting salary will be £15,404 per Annum. Your working hours will be 18.25 hours per week on a Monday to Friday basis."

So I did some more digging, and worked out the annual wage on a per annum basis using the salary calculator. This gave me a monthly wage of £1,154.63 per month.

It might sound silly, but is this definitely correct? Google tends to give a whole host of answers - many of which are a little complicated for me personally.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Is it a job that you’d expect to get £30,000 or so if it was full time? I’d expect that to be a job like an experienced qualified nurse or similar. If not then I think they’re a bit confused.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It does indeed sound willy

Yes what you have said is correct
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Im not sure what the issue is?
    Most of us are paid X a year broken down by months.
    so you get £15K a year paid over 12 payments.
    Is this a part time role of a full time role already in place?
  • Rhodog2612
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    It does indeed sound willy

Yes what you have said is correct

Haha thank you for that, I completely missed the typo!
  • Rhodog2612
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Im not sure what the issue is?
    Most of us are paid X a year broken down by months.
    so you get £15K a year paid over 12 payments.
    Is this a part time role of a full time role already in place?

The issue I have is that for a job which is only 18.25 hours a week, getting paid £15,404 a year seems a little high for me. I wanted to ensure that this was correct.

The role itself is classed as a part-time role I believe.

I worked at a hospital before some years ago and for 22 hours per week I was only getting paid just over £750 per month. Obviously this was when I was a bit younger - maybe 17 or 18, so only about 6 years ago, but it just seems strange that there would be that much difference in pay etc...

I suppose the end question really is does £15,404 per year for a 18.25 hour a week job sound right or not, and is it common for this to happen for a job with the NHS?

It is a Support Services Assistant job which is a band 1 role.

Thanks again!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have cocked it up. A quick Google says that the salary figures you have been quoted are the full time annual earnings for band 1 staff. The upside is that they quoted the rates for 2017/2018 and staff are getting a pay increase which will be backdated to April so you would get more than this, but pro rata to reflect your part time hours.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like your hourly rate will be £8.92.

8.92 x 18.25 x 52 / 12 gives you a monthly salary of £705 gross

https://www.nhspay.org/band-1/
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 19 June 2018 at 5:09PM
    Options
    The figures quoted by the OP equate to roughly £16 per hour. Is that the going rate for the job?

If not, it's possible that they have quote the annual full time salary but somebody working 18.5 hours per week would get half that figure assuming full time is 37 hours per week. When an advert states 'Pro-rata' that is often how the salary is shown.
  • shortcrust
    Options
    I think if you’re not sure about it, it’s probably likely they mean pro rata which means you’ll take home between £7000 and £8000. That means about £600 in your pocket each month.
  • shortcrust
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    They have cocked it up. A quick Google says that the salary figures you have been quoted are the full time annual earnings for band 1 staff. The upside is that they quoted the rates for 2017/2018 and staff are getting a pay increase which will be backdated to April so you would get more than this, but pro rata to reflect your part time hours.

Spot on.

I hadn’t clocked that it was the band 1 salary. I feel a bad for the OP! Hope they’ve not been doing to much imaginary spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure