PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Specsavers 2for ! Varifocals

Options
Hi everyone you know when you feel as if youve be had?
Went into S/S and after eyetest was put to me Varifocals were the best option.
Decided on frames priced at £129 and as I am quiet short sighted opted for Taylor Made 1.74 lenses ....the most expensive lens.
Was told of the 2 for 1 offer and after 5mins of sales guy pressing keys on there PC thing ......£499 .Gulp
I paid half of cost then rest to be paid next week when specs ready.
Back home I have tried to understand there receipt but seems designed to confuse.
On there website today in the varifocal lense options it states Taylor Made lenses ....does not mention 1.74 are priced at £159.
My calculator says £129 plus £159 equales £288
therefore 2 for 1 is £288 .....I qualify for free eye test.
Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Should have gone to.... Asda. I have poor eyesight, wear varifocals, two pairs for £120 (or £180 if you really want to push the boat out). Thinned lenses, tinted ..... everything included PLUS you don't feel like a very small cog in a big wheel. I would never return to SS. I've seen the same optometrist for the past 4 years in my local store - no !!!!!!!! about needing new lenses - they say it like it is. A breath of fresh air!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • thebullsback
    thebullsback Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had vari focals for a few days now and they are dreadful feels like im wearing frosted glasses apart from a 10mm clear strip at top of lens .
    Driving is a total no no with them on.
    My struggle now will be getting my money back...
    Anyone had this problem before?
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 July 2019 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Had vari focals for a few days now and they are dreadful feels like im wearing frosted glasses apart from a 10mm clear strip at top of lens .
    Driving is a total no no with them on.
    My struggle now will be getting my money back...
    Anyone had this problem before?

They took me a while to get use to as you have to relearn how you use your eyes, I do have a pair of 'occupational' glasses which are for computer screen and reading only. TBH after 7 or 8 years i don't like them but it's does get easier and I'm not sure I would want to swap back to single use ones but my eyes are really bad so even my sunglasses for driving are varifocal

Go back to spec savers and ask them to refit them i once was fitted incorrectly by one of the assistants and don't leave the shop until you can see correctly sometimes they do try and send you home with 'you need to get use to them'. They use to have a 30 day trial period with varifocals if you really can't get on with them with your money back, have a look online to see if they still do

Edit - I don't know how big your lens is - the smaller the lens the less area you have for each range of vision, a couple of years ago I got some slightly bigger lenses and they were so much better and not obviously bigger, but they should have told you this
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I get my varifocals from Specsavers. I 'believe' the buy one get one free is only on the frames not the lenses and the lenses are generally more expensive when they get complicated as varifocals are !
    The first time I had new specs from them (after cataract surgery so completely different prescription to previously) I did the buy one get one free and had one pair reactive and one pair tinted for driving . The bill was eyewatering as I have best quality varifocal type to avoid the frosted glass type problems you describe, the bits I focus through are more graduated together I think.
    Anyway two years on my prescription hadn't changed hugely so I just had one pair and planned to keep same tinted ones as they aren't used all that often. I was told as I wasn't having buy one get one free I could have some other offer , can't remember exactly what but the one pair was significantly cheaper than it would have been if I had bought two !! Rip off ? Yes but I've had problems with other opticians too and don't know where else to go ...

Do keep trying with the varifocals it takes a good week or so to get used to them but I love mine now I really CBA with different specs for different jobs I need to be able to see all the time !!

If you need them remaking and can afford it I really think it is worth having the better quality lenses as there is more usable parts to the lens . They can explain it better but it makes a big difference to me !
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally the 2nd pair is just the bog standard varifocal in standard thickness lenses, so as you have bought 2 pairs with thinner premium lenses you will be charged for the upgrades on the 2nd pair!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • thebullsback
    Options
    im going in next week and my aim is one pair distance with premium lense and rest of money back then online for readers
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell them you want a "no quibble no fuss" refund, that's their internal wording for these refunds.

You're probably better getting your £125 frame (if that's what you like) made into a distance pair, buying another £125 pair for reading using their buy one get one free promo and getting a refund from that.

They might let you use your £125 frame and give you £49 off the 1.74 lens if there was a free thin lenses promo (the 1.6 would be free, the 1.74 is 2 upgrades above that) at the time you bought your varifocals. You wouldn't qualify for a second pair but you'd come away with more money for your readers.
  • thebullsback
    Options
    No Quibble no Fuss will be my approach .
    I'm OK for Frame i picked to be made into Distance with 1.74 Lens but then it Refund
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had to return a pair to Specsavers once. No problem whatsoever.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure