Deefadog_2
Deefadog_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 24 September 2018 at 9:45PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
,...…………………………………………….

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Why isn't it useful? You asked what the law was on tips. It answers that question. What you "told" the "girls" to do was to break employers policy. So the lot of you can be sacked for that. You may not like the policy, but it isn't a democracy. You must do as your employer says, or find a job you like better.
  • Chickenlips
    Options
    Is there any reason you can't tell the customers to put it in the box as that is where tips go any way?

You work for a charity and the money is donated to charity. Perhaps working for a trust/charity is not for you if you feel you are more in need? Perhaps try the private sector?

I agree, despite your views.on tipping if you go against company policy you could be fired for gross misconduct as spending the money could be seen as theft. If your values are more important to you than this job, start looking elsewhere.
  • sangie595
    Options
    That's entirely irrelevant. If your are paid the minimum wage, then you are paid - got are not doing good deeds, you are working. And putting someone's bag in a safe place until they return isn't a gargantuan task - I'd expect any employee to do that.

You asked for the law on tipping. That is the law on tipping. What you think isn't the law on tipping. There's are no other laws on tipping. So you can abide by the employers policy. Or you can steal the money. Because, whether you realist it or not, if toy don't do what the employer says, that is stealing the money. What customers might or might not do is irrelevant. Like I said, what you think, what I think, what customers think... It is not a democracy. The employer had issued an instruction. Ignore it at your peril.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Deefadog wrote: »
    Yeah I already found that website...its not really helpful... ..thank you tho

Well, it doesn't explicitly answer your question but that part about it being merely "guidance" suggests, to me, that the company are not obliged to give you the tip money under UK legislation. They merely have to make sure that they are paying you at least NMW (and that your wage is not "made up" through tips).

You may also check here for some further info: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6075

As a side note, you are likely in breach of contract with what you did. I would personally keep that on the lowdown. More so given you technically stole from a charity.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Deefadog wrote: »
    Personal opinions are irrelevant to my post... I require information about laws....

Ok so I work in a posh restaurant and my employer takes my £100 a night tips off me to fund the new sun terrace he wants to build to attract more customers......
    I'm struggling to see if you are misunderstanding entirely, or what. The site you were directed to outlines what the law says about tipping . So your question, which you have helpfully deleted, had been answered three times! This is what the law says. If it isn't covered on that site, which this isn't, then it isn't law. What you want- to keep the tips - is not a legal right. Clear enough? And yes, if you earn £100 tips a night in a posh restaurant, the owner can keep those tips and build a new sun terrace, and a stairway to heaven if they want...
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see if you are misunderstanding entirely, or what. The site you were directed to outlines what the law says about tipping . So your question, which you have helpfully deleted, had been answered three times! This is what the law says. If it isn't covered on that site, which this isn't, then it isn't law. What you want- to keep the tips - is not a legal right. Clear enough? And yes, if you earn £100 tips a night in a posh restaurant, the owner can keep those tips and build a new sun terrace, and a stairway to heaven if they want...

You mean this post ;)
    So i work in a cafe ran by a trust...... if we get tips we get told to put them in the charity box...the charity being the trust I work for....so essentially giving our tips back to employer ..... we got £20 one day ...i told the girls to get a couple of drinks and put the rest in charity box.... the odd 50p...has to go in the box... a £5 note tip...in the box....its not often we get tips...(i think if there was an actual tips jar on show we might get more)....i just don't think it's right that we work hard and can't keep the tips we are given...are there any laws on this?

If it's on the internet, it never goes away :rotfl:

Wasn't there some outrage a while ago about a celebrity chef keeping all his staff's tips? All perfectly legal (if not moral) if I remember correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure