SC Clearance with CCJ and debt

Options
2»

Comments

• sexon
    sexon Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I am applying for my SC right now. I am only guessing that they have no access to foreign records. But even if they did, it appears that if you are upfront things go well. Good luck.

I have an IVA from 2007 which doesnt appear on credit searches and since its over 10 years old, should i declare it for transparency or not?

Many thanks all
  • Jb89
    Jb89 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi
    Can somebody please help me, I am currently filling out a security clearance form but have just took out an via agreement a couple of months ago for 15k plus worth of debt. I intend on being open and honest about my situation but can somebody please let me know if they have had a similar experience, do I even stand a chance to get this clearance.

Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi JB89, did you get the clearance. Just going through the same thing myself.
  • Zeritha
    Options
    hi my partner is applying for reserves and has to fill a form in , this asks about financial information from him and myself.
    I have credit cards that he is not aware of, these are currently on hold as I started a lower paid job and struggling to get payments made.
    Same as my car finance, which shows missed payments, but they are because I got in debt but now I am paying weekly to compensate for that. He is aware of the car finance just not the credit cards

Is this going to affect his clearance. ? Im guessing I need to add it to his form or is there a way of informing them without him knowing ?

thanks
  • haraltremorian
    Options
    It's all about honesty and transparency. If you live with him then definitely he needs to know and added to the form as they are looking for any way he could be blackmailed or bribed/manipulated.

Any debt in both your names is key as well. Don't hide anything as if it comes to light and he lied or left it out they will just reject his vetting and reserves application
    Debt Free - 21st April 09
  • LifeHey
    Options
    Hi, as everyone else is posting, it is all about honesty. If you say for instance, i owe 30k in debt and only have 20k in salary, but i've reached an agreement with my creditors to pay this back, then it should not an issue.
    (the whole purpose of clearance is not to judge but to confirm that you cannot be a security risk)
    if you have huge debts and you do not declare this, they will find this out in a 30 second finance check and rule you out instantly.
    Borrowing money is not a crime, lying to a government agency is looked at less lightly :)
  • LifeHey
    Options
    Hi Zeritha,

No - he is making the application to the forces not you. They will not engage with you, why should they? Unless you are actually married or financially tied then your connection is irrelevant.
    IF you contact them however, your relationship would be known and then you would be seen as a potential issue, i.e you are already keeping secrets from him, any more secrets? your a red flag to them. If you want to support him, let him know first and he can supply the info to them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure