Bricks or investing

Options
Hi all, I'm looking for advice please. I'm 50 yo & I've been left a house worth £200,000. My question is it better to rent or to sell to invest? I want to retire when I'm 60 if not before. I already have a pension 100,000 I'm a total novice so please be gentle :)

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you want to be a landlord?

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property

Otherwise, you might consider selling and contributing as much as you can into your pension?
  • LateStarter
    LateStarter Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Where is the house? What state is it in? Speak to a couple of local agents to get a feel of the return it would give you (do not ignore taxes and maintenance)? Are you up for being a landlord?

You can't just sell the house and put 200k into a pension (there are annual limits). So you'll need to come up with a plan for that option also.

If your're employed, and your employer does salary sacrifice, then you could chuck most of your salary at the pension, and live off the rental income. The house can always be sold at any time down the road.

Good luck.
  • pensionpawn
    pensionpawn Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can maximise the pension tax relief and are willing to wait until 55 (seems to fit in with your plans) then investing in a Sipp could be better for you. The closer you get to 55 the more tempting it is to chuck any excess into your pension, claim the tax relief, hopefully some good growth, and take the TFLS at 55. You'll also get a larger pension to boot!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure