CCJ help...

Good day all!

Recently I received a CCJ. That I understand. What I do not understand is the fact that the court also told me that I need to make payments to the company every month.
Is this normal? If not what do I do about it? I'm confused mostly due to the fact that if I still have to pay monthly surely I could have simply entered into a monthly payment plan with the company... any help that can be given will be greatly apricated.

Many Thanks in advance

KO

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You owe someone money, the court agrees and says you should repay it at the rate of £X per month. What's weird about that?

You could have made an agreement to repay £X per month and avoid the CCJ but you didn't.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    K.O. wrote: »
    I'm confused mostly due to the fact that if I still have to pay monthly surely I could have simply entered into a monthly payment plan with the company...

You would have been offered that arrangement, probably serval times, before your creditor went to court. The CCJ would have been pursued because they felt that you were not cooperative with their earlier attempts to collect the money. Court is not usually the first resort.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    You could have entered into a payment plan with the company and avoided the CCJ, but for whatever reason this didn't happen. You just need to sort the repayments out directly with the company. Unfortunately this will stick around on your credit file for the next 6 years unless you're in the position to clear this off in full within the next month. :(
  • If you can pay it in full within 1 month of issue then it will be removed from your credit files.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,846 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Good day all!

Recently I received a CCJ. That I understand. What I do not understand is the fact that the court also told me that I need to make payments to the company every month.
    Is this normal? If not what do I do about it? I'm confused mostly due to the fact that if I still have to pay monthly surely I could have simply entered into a monthly payment plan with the company... any help that can be given will be greatly apricated.

Many Thanks in advance

KO

A county court judgement is the creditors insurance policy that they will receive there monthly payment from you, as obviously you had problems doing this in the past for whatever reason.

Should you not stick to the arrangement they will be able to further enforce the judgement using bailiffs or other options.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2018 at 3:32PM
    Is this normal? If not what do I do about it? I'm confused mostly due to the fact that if I still have to pay monthly surely I could have simply entered into a monthly payment plan with the company.

The sum due under a County Court Judgment must be paid direct to the Claimant and not to the court to forward to the Claimant (if that's what you're asking :) ).

Did you actually receive the claim form giving you the opportunity to either defend or admit the claim, or have you only received a Default Judgment (CCJ) since you didn't respond by the deadline because you didn't get the original paperwork?

If you filed an admission of the claim giving your Income & Expenditure and offering a monthly payment amount, then that would have been sent to the Claimant to accept or refuse. If the amount offered was accepted then there would be an Order (CCJ) for the amount they accepted.

If the monthly amount ordered is more than you can afford, then you can make an Application to Vary that Order although there is a fee for doing this unless you are on no or low income so entitled to fee remission.

Even if you had made an offer to the Company before the claim was issued there's no way of guaranteeing they would have accepted it because if this was a debt purchaser they may have still issued legal proceedings to get the certainty of a CCJ giving them the right to pursue enforcement of it, such as bailiffs, Attachment of Earnings or a Charging Order on your property (if you own one) if the CCJ is for £1k or more.

Di
  • Just_Di
    sourcrates wrote: »
    A county court judgement is the creditors insurance policy that they will receive there monthly payment from you, as obviously you had problems doing this in the past for whatever reason.

Our posts crossed :)

I agree with you about the debt owner's motivation for obtaining a CCJ, but I can't see anything about the OP having a poor payment history with the Claimant.

Di
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just_Di wrote: »
    Our posts crossed :)

I agree with you about the debt owner's motivation for obtaining a CCJ, but I can't see anything about the OP having a poor payment history with the Claimant.

Di

It's pretty safe to assume that this was the case or the creditor would not have pursued the debt via the courts. I am sure that the OP would have correct us if that were not the case.
  • Just_Di
    MEM62 wrote: »
    It's pretty safe to assume that this was the case or the creditor would not have pursued the debt via the courts.

In my experience debt purchasers regularly issue claims even when the debtor has a perfect payment history through a DMP.

Aggressive litigation is fuelled by the desire to obtain a Charging Order on the debtor’s home (if they own their home) because that turns an unsecured debt into a secured debt which enables them to raise more funds to purchase more debt.

Di
  • Thanks for your reply.

Once I make the monthly payments that the court has asked me to pay... Will that show on my file? and if yes, will it be a positive thing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback