refused ppi claim for bradford &bingley

Hi can anyone help me, I recently claimed for ppi on a mortgage we had with B&B back in 1987 where we were led to believe that if we didn't take the ppi out we wouldn't be accepted for a mortgage with them, so we did but they have now wrote stating they don't believe it was miss sold and we are not entitled to claim it back, but if we disagree we can take it to the ombudsman, is it worth us doing that after being told we cant claim it back

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you disagree with their decision, then yes.

You don't claim it back in any event. You complain about how it was sold to you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Being rejected on an MPPI complaint is the statistically most likely outcome. So, that shouldnt come as a surprise.
    we were led to believe that if we didn't take the ppi out we wouldn't be accepted for a mortgage with them

In 1987, you are looking at a period before the sales culture. Maybe you are mixing up what you were told about MIG (which you would have been forced to have if you wanted a B&B mortgage). So, a complaint on that basis would be expected to fail on that particular point (you dont mention any other reasons).
    but if we disagree we can take it to the ombudsman, is it worth us doing that after being told we cant claim it back

Most MPPi complaints to the FOS fail as well. So, statistically, you would expect rejection. However, you are not giving us much to go on to say otherwise.

Apart from the unprovable allegation that rarely succeeds, and the fact that Santander have found no failings at their end, what were you complaint reasons and why do you think the rejection is wrong?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    IIRC in that period BBBs and a few others (National & Provincial?) had deals which were conditional on insurance being purchased.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure