Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The REA urges that the government helps support further renewable electricity deployment in the U.K. to ease the burden on the heat and transport sectors. “This can be quickly and cheaply done by reallowing solar PV and onshore wind to compete in government auctions [Contracts for Difference],” argued Skorupska*.

*Nina Skorupska, chief executive of the U.K.’s Renewable Energy Association (REA).

Vested interests anyone!
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Vested interests anyone!

Ant-RE trolling anyone?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    *Nina Skorupska, chief executive of the U.K.’s Renewable Energy Association (REA).

Vested interests anyone!
    Hi

I would have thought that you'd be in agreement with the quoted text, taking particular note of the highlighted words ... “This can be quickly and cheaply done by reallowing solar PV and onshore wind to compete in government auctions [Contracts for Difference],” ... surely forms of generation which would generate at a lower and therefore more competitive unit cost whilst reducing exposure of both consumer & taxpayer to forms of higher potential future support would be a logical approach. Of course, if competition was open and not subject to the influence of 'vested interests', then projects such as Hinckley-C will have been open to more detailed competitive financial scrutiny! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

surely forms of generation which would generate at a lower and therefore more competitive unit cost whilst reducing exposure of both consumer & taxpayer to forms of higher potential future support would be a logical approach.

Ignoring any trolling/stalking issues, can I just say another reason why I really wish PV (farms) and on-shore wind were allowed back into the CfD contracts, and that's simply because all of my data is now out of date.

I'm still stuck using the £83/MWh figures for PV and wind based on the 2015 £80/MWh CfDs, but as I've mentioned previously costs across Europe appear to have fallen significantly in the last 2 years, perhaps 25%.

So it's very frustrating not being able to see just how far we've progressed (if at all, you never know). I'm also a little frustrated with the HPC figure as it's simply insane, and driving me to reject nuclear 100%. However, on some forums, particularly Navitron (the renewables forum) where there are some nuclear engineers, they've told me that cheaper generation may be possible as other reactor designs get approval, perhaps £70/MWh. So I'm stuck not knowing if nuclear is now a dead duck or not.

Also a lot depends on us leaving the EU and possibly Euratom, which could muck up nuclear seriously for us.

Overall looks like we are in an excellent position now, 2017 onwards, we just need to grasp the nettle, and get on with it.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I thought I'd already mentioned this (storage in California) but now have my doubts. the problem is two of the companies AES and Tesla have built PV + storage in Hawaii, so I may be getting confused.

Anyways ....... this last week a 'ton' of storage (that's not a technical term) came on line in California, for a number of reasons. these articles talk about the schemes, and the whole issue of storage, particularly in California. Importantly, it suggests that storage is very close to pushing gas peaker plants off the grid, so another step forward as battery costs keep falling:

AES claims world’s largest battery storage system

Tesla’s Battery Revolution Just Reached Critical Mass

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    Options
    An attempt to drill into the heart of a volcano in the south-west of Iceland is now complete.
    Geologists have penetrated 4,659m down, creating the deepest-ever volcanic borehole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38833023

Hopefully we will continue to get updates as they test its energy generating capacity.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Ignoring any trolling/stalking issues, can I just say another reason why I really wish PV (farms) and on-shore wind were allowed back into the CfD contracts, and that's simply because all of my data is now out of date.

I'm still stuck using the £83/MWh figures for PV and wind based on the 2015 £80/MWh CfDs, but as I've mentioned previously costs across Europe appear to have fallen significantly in the last 2 years, perhaps 25%.

So it's very frustrating not being able to see just how far we've progressed (if at all, you never know). I'm also a little frustrated with the HPC figure as it's simply insane, and driving me to reject nuclear 100%. However, on some forums, particularly Navitron (the renewables forum) where there are some nuclear engineers, they've told me that cheaper generation may be possible as other reactor designs get approval, perhaps £70/MWh. So I'm stuck not knowing if nuclear is now a dead duck or not.

Also a lot depends on us leaving the EU and possibly Euratom, which could muck up nuclear seriously for us.

Overall looks like we are in an excellent position now, 2017 onwards, we just need to grasp the nettle, and get on with it.

Although I'm not sure with the Toshiba/Westinghouse 'problem' whether there are that many suitable alternative nuclear plant suppliers left - I can't see the UK commissioning a Chinese or Russian firm as lead contractor.
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Sweden is aiming for carbon neutrality by 2045, and they throw in a suspected photo gag at Trump too.

Sweden criticises US climate stance as it reveals ambitious carbon emissions law

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    Options
    Sweden is aiming for carbon neutrality by 2045, and they throw in a suspected photo gag at Trump too.

Sweden criticises US climate stance as it reveals ambitious carbon emissions law
    Hi

Wool, eyes and pulling immediately come to mind when a government passes legislation claimed to legally bind all future governments to a particular position .... of course, any legislation is only binding whilst it exists, and it's pretty straightforward to repeal at any time! ... looks like the political elite in Sweden see their population as being as 'stupid' as ours do (/did) in the UK ...

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    This is not green & ethical news, but could have an impact on RE in the UK if our government has to scale back plans for nuclear:

Toshiba meltdown puts nuclear project at risk

Toshiba scales back nuclear ambitions

Toshiba to withdraw from nuclear plant construction, chairman to quit

Update on Toshiba, looks like they are out of the UK nuclear business, and Cumbrian nuclear might not happen.

Blow to UK nuclear strategy as Toshiba considers pulling out of Cumbria plant

This could be good news for RE if it encourages the government to react by promoting on-shore wind and PV again, maybe the Lagoons too.

We're well passed the point that the savings from PV/on-shore wind v's HPC are far, far greater than the cost of building gas back up. So for nuclear costs, we could get the equivalent volume of generation (but intermittent) from cheap RE, plus gas capacity standing idle if necessary. Then invest further price differential savings in storage.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback