Taking holidays owed

Options
I recently requested 2 weeks holidays for later on in the year when another member of staff are off which has never normally been a problem and my manager had said they would authorise the holidays So my partner booked travel tickets for us to go away unfortunately a couple of days later the manager denied my holiday request so I asked why and they said I should have put the holidays in earlier I told them if I had of done that they obviously would still have been denied as the other employee had brought their holidays over from a previous job. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do about this as we have now lost money and I am starting to feel like my manager has something against me as there are still other employees including my manager taking time off at the same time as other employees.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Natasha93 wrote: »
    I recently requested 2 weeks holidays for later on in the year when another member of staff are off which has never normally been a problem and my manager had said they would authorise the holidays So my partner booked travel tickets for us to go away unfortunately a couple of days later the manager denied my holiday request so I asked why and they said I should have put the holidays in earlier I told them if I had of done that they obviously would still have been denied as the other employee had brought their holidays over from a previous job. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do about this as we have now lost money and I am starting to feel like my manager has something against me as there are still other employees including my manager taking time off at the same time as other employees.

Booking a holiday before your holiday has actually been approved is a risk.

Unfortunately there is nothing to do other than beg or change job.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Booking a holiday before your holiday has actually been approved is a risk.

Unfortunately there is nothing to do other than beg or change job.

Or have unauthorised absence and ride the wave of bull which will await you upon return.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Or have unauthorised absence and ride the wave of bull which will await you upon return.

Or raise a grievance? Probably not worth it but it sounds as though the manager orally agreed the holiday but later refused to confirm formally.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or change the holiday to another date. Will cost you to change but perhaps not as much as you'll lose in deposit by cancelling.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt the manager has anything against you. This isn't personal.

I think it comes down to how much money is involved. If it is a small sum, take it on the chin. If it is a lot of money, then personally I'd either take unauthorised absence and risk being told off, or explain the situation to the manager and try to convince them to change their mind.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just to clarify the current situation. Did you speak to the manager and get verbal approval of the dates of this holiday before you booked it, or is it a case that the manager has always approved previous holiday so you made the assumption that it would be OK?
  • Natasha93
    Options
    I had previously mentioned on quite a few occasions that i was planning on taking the dates as holiday and to make sure it would be okay I also asked just before I booked them in if the manager would still approve them. The reason I got when they were denied was that 2 people couldn’t be off at the same time but there are three off this week one being themselves.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can go back with a plan as to how having two of you off at the same time won't cause a problem, that could be worth doing, but really, as others have said, it's not booked as annual leave before it's booked!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport