Pension Credit Mixed Age

Options
2»

Comments

• rosey-789
    rosey-789 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2019 at 9:13PM
    Options
    They did state though if I did apply for uc I'd have to agree to look for work and if I don't we weren't entitled to anything else as this is the new rules for mixed age couples. I can't agree to that as need to be here to look after him. Sorry for posting twice.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are totally wrong about you needing to look for work if you do make a claim. You are a carer and totally exempt from work search requirements.

Your total UC entitlement (before deduction) will be £995.29. After deducting carer's allowance it is £708.64. Then his pension will be deducted from that. If you pay rent then you will also get help with housing so that would increase the £708 total.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 May 2019 at 9:42PM
    Options
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    Yes he gets pip high rate mobility and middle care. He is 65 now but state pension age in November. Now I spoke to someone at dwp and they said because I receive carers and he will receive his state pension we wouldn't be entitled to nothing more unless I agree to look for work.

As WillowCat says and per the link in my post @6 your caring responsibilities place you in the NO WORK- RELATED REQUIREMENTS GROUP. You will NOT have to look for work.
    You have been given incorrect information by the DWP call handler - sadly, this is not unusual,

Have you looked at those Links and read the information they give? Is there anything you do not understand in that link?
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Claimant-commitment-Universal-Credit

PIP does not have a high or middle rate. It is enhanced or standard. Please look at the award notice and tell us the precise PIP award. This is important.
    If your husband is getting the ENHANCED DAILY LIVING PIP award he will get the LCWRA UC addition and the £995 (plus housing costs) referred to in WillowCat's post,
    If your husband is getting the STANDARD DAILY LIVING PIP award he will not get the LCWRA UC addition and elements, so will get £659 UC (plus housing costs) per my earlier post.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • rosey-789
    Options
    He gets the Daily Living component standard of pip £58.70 and Enhanced rate £61.20.

Would he still miss out on pension credit even if he started an early claim for it in July? he them reaches state pension age in November or is it still to late. DWP have me round the bend with the advice they are telling me.
  • WillowCat
    Options
    It's too late. He would have had to been entitled to pension credit (i.e. reached state pension age) before May 15th in order to get it.

I believe that a little publicised change is that once he reaches pension age your housing benefit claim will stop and so you will have to claim UC to get help with your housing. As unfortunately he only gets middle rate care (I see you edited your previous post) your award will be approximately £659 plus housing element. From this will be deducted the monthly average of his state pension and £286 for overlapping carer's allowance.
  • rosey-789
    Options
    So does this mean we'll be lucky to get £100 a month from uc by time they take out the carers and pension. I didn't realize housing benefit stopped.
  • WillowCat
    Options
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    So does this mean we'll be lucky to get £100 a month from uc by time they take out the carers and pension. I didn't realize housing benefit stopped.

It depends on what your housing costs are, and what actual pension he will get, but yes it could be that low.

Re: the housing benefit - this is all new so it's down to interpretation of the legislation. This is all the information I have at the moment, from another forum:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14433/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport