Backpay entitlement

Options
Hi

Every year at my former job the company, union and NNC (National negotiating committee) started pay deal talks in April. This year it dragged on until September, I left 3 days before the agreement was made and they’re saying I’m not entitled to the money. This wasn’t written in any contract it’s just what happened.

When I called HR to find out how much notice I needed to give they didn’t inform me I’d be forfeiting my money. I emailed HR asking about the backdate and they informed me I wasn’t getting it. They said an agreement was made at a meeting in August that people who left before the agreement was in place wouldn’t get it. I’ve spoke to a person who was at this meeting who’s adamant that this wasn’t talked about. So why are the company saying it was?

Surely the NNC should have informed the Union members that this agreement had been made?

The Union are on it but dragging their feet so I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone had been through the same thing.

K

Comments

• Blatchford
    Options
    Happens a lot. It isn't uncommon for back pay to not apply to anyone who has left their employment. The terms are what the terms are. Nobody here can tell you the answer. It's between you and your employer as to what your contract terms are, and the union as to what they agreed with the employers side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure