Comments

• Eros1000
    Eros1000 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments folks.

To answer a few points -
    Aon Hewitt is the pension provider.
    I understand my (former) company pension fund is in good shape.
    As I received a reasonable voluntary redundancy package I would have no problem in surviving until 1st October 2019.
    The reduced figure I have been offered is £14832.

I would be taxed at the 20% rate (or however the Scottish tax system works it out).

I will put it on a new thread as I need time to type it up but as I have also been offered what looks similar to a PIE scheme.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a discussion of PIE at Pension increase exchange advice that you might find useful. Your life expectancy is the key factor to consider. If it's low, PIE can be a good deal but transferring out is likely to be far better. Older still and PIE can look better for those who can't get more from an enhanced annuity who don't want to use investments, in this range inflation is a significant factor.
  • Turpinr
    Turpinr Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was given a reduction factor of 63.1% to finish 5 years early from my deferred pension.
    At 61 its 69.2% and at 62 its 75.9.
    If it had been 4%/year I'd have finished by now
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Turpinr wrote: »
    I was given a reduction factor of 63.1% to finish 5 years early from my deferred pension.

That's hard to credit. Are you sure it's an actuarial reduction? Could it be a combination of the effect of five years of active membership forgone, and actuarial reduction?
    At 61 its 69.2% and at 62 its 75.9.

Ah - you don't mean a reduction factor at all. I suspect you mean, on the contrary, that if you stopped work 5 years early you'd have received 63.1% of the pension that you would otherwise have received at 65, and so on.

If you find that remark hard to follow, translate it into your mother tongue and see if it's clear then.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Turpinr
    Options
    This is how it reads, Early retirement reduction factor 0.67600.
    Which is age 60 and 9 months.
    With a commutation figure of 14.5.

I was expecting 4 or 5%/year so a bit disappointed
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is how it reads, Early retirement reduction factor 0.67600.
    Which is age 60 and 9 months.
    With a commutation figure of 14.5.

I suspect they've misled you - it's their command of English that's at fault, not yours.

There are two reasons to get a smaller pension at age 60/9 rather than 65/0. (i) You will have been an active member for fewer years. (ii) You will be subject to "actuarial reduction" because you will be drawing your pension for longer - approximately 4 years 3 months longer.

Maybe what they meant was that the reduction because of both effects together will be 32.4%, leaving you with 67.6%.

When people talk about "actuarial reduction" they are referring only to effect (ii). That's because effect (i) is dead easy to calculate. For example, if you are in a scheme that would pay you, say, forty eightieths of your final salary if you retired at 65, then if you retire five years early you obviously will get at most thirty-five eightieths.
    The bit you can't calculate yourself without extra information supplied by the scheme is effect (ii). Your particular scheme has to tell you its own actuarial reduction.

I suggest you tell us (a) whether your scheme works on sixtieths, or eightieths, or whatever; and (b) how many years membership you will have accumulated at age 65. (I'm assuming that age 65 is the scheme retirement age. If I'm wrong, say so.)
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Turpinr
    Options
    The scheme is actually two final salaries, one of which was transferred in.
    I'd paid into the two for at most 22 (16&6) years. I dont know whether they were 1/60th or 1/80th
    In June i asked for an early finish quote and a CETV with a view to early retirement, but it won't be just yet.
  • Turpinr
    Options
    PS. Yes normal retirement age is 65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts