The Alternative Green Energy Thread

Options

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VED for BEVs could be tiered according to battery capacity & list price.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    VED for BEVs could be tiered according to battery capacity & list price.

Or maybe kW power.:)

I think smart road pricing is the long term future for both BEVs and ICEs. It would go some way to reducing congestion but the burden would fall on the working population who have no alternative (except public transport) to be on the roads at the busiest times.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    Options
    I had expected this story to appear elsewhere (apologies if it did and I missed it) or I would have posted a couple of days ago.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/11/19/teslas-big-australia-battery-get-even-bigger/

The world's biggest battery is about to get even bigger. Tesla’s giant lithium-ion power storage facility in South Australia will be expanded by half in a bid to boost the electricity grid’s stability and cut costs.

Built in 2017 in less than three months after a bet on Twitter, the battery stores energy from the nearby Hornsdale wind farm, with enough capacity to supply 30,000 homes for more than an hour.

It is now set to increase capacity from 100 to 150 megawatts under an expansion plan being driven by French renewables company Neoen, which owns the site.

It was built by Tesla after chief executive Elon Musk accepted a bet on Twitter from entrepreneur Mike Cannon-Brookes, saying if he could not build the battery within 100 days it would be free.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Or perhaps a mileage tax per mile at 10p a mile paid at the yearly MOT

So if you've clocked up 1,000 miles you'd be charged antax of £100 of you've clocked up 10,000 miles an MOT tax of £1,000 etc

But cars mileage will have to be tamper proof or near enough so as to avoid people faking it as exists now especially with taxi drivers cars
    That'd be too much money in one hit & would inevitably lead to collection problems. A scheme whereby you estimate your annual mileage & pay monthly based on that figure might work better. An annual mileage declaration would be needed for a balancing payment or a refund.
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • JKenH
    Options
    If you are interested in EVs this guy (EV Man) does some great warts and all videos. This one contains a state of health check on a 3 year old 40k miles Leaf battery (at about 8 minutes if you aren’t that patient to watch it all). I know I sound like someone else but I think some of his other videos on EVs are worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/MGkts4AhDF4
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    If you are interested in EVs this guy (EV Man) does some great warts and all videos. This one contains a state of health check on a 3 year old 40k miles Leaf battery (at about 8 minutes if you aren’t that patient to watch it all). I know I sound like someone else but I think some of his other videos on EVs are worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/MGkts4AhDF4
    Have you done a health check on your battery yet?
  • JKenH
    Options
    That'd be too much money in one hit & would inevitably lead to collection problems. A scheme whereby you estimate your annual mileage & pay monthly based on that figure might work better. An annual mileage declaration would be needed for a balancing payment or a refund.

Whatever scheme is used I can imagine trying to keep tabs on anyone’s mileage might prove difficult.

I also imagine there would be a tremendous trade in illegal clocking of cars as the digital odometers are probably easier to clock than mechanical ones were with just an OBD port and a laptop.
  • JKenH
    Options
    Have you done a health check on your battery yet?

I need to find my OBD reader/adapter first.
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Whatever scheme is used I can imagine trying to keep tabs on anyone’s mileage might prove difficult.

I also imagine there would be a tremendous trade in illegal clocking of cars as the digital odometers are probably easier to clock than mechanical ones were with just an OBD port and a laptop.

The rate of fraud would probably be a lot better than income tax compliance. Cross checks could be made with the MOT database, V5, service records, ... or even ANPR if you want to go really 'Big Brother' & prove a case of suspected clocking. BEVs could also be required to upload usage data daily which would make fraud a lot more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla didn't already have that info.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At some point EVs are going to have to pay their way. Taxing electricity isn't an option because there's no way of differentiating between what goes into a vehicle & what is consumed domestically.

The wall mounted chargers know.... well some of them do, a mate of mine purposely installed a slower manual charger for this reason.

We are constantly giving out all this data. Its like the old saying, if you cant see what the product or service is then you are the product or service. All the grants will also give all the import/export/usage data etc.
    I would expect to see some sort of recording of usage at some point as part of the MOT.

I read an interesting technical piece by some EU committee report recently where it was argued that a lot of the current ev solutions are all based on lies. The EU came up with a target so the car manufacturers 'massaged' diesel figures to be the stepping stone on the way to that target (dieselgate), phev targets were then introduced to take the next step and electricity usage monitored and paved the way for bevs. Of course the phev data was based on assumptions that people would actually plug them in and not just use them for tax reasons. They then extrapolated that usage data out for bev rollout with subsidies capping initial numbers etc.
    Certainly made interesting reading and makes the data from the next year to 18 months keenly anticipated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback