JobSpotter

Options
Does anyone else use this regularly? Since last September I've been averaging about £50 per month using the app, so it's a nice source of extra income.

If enough people are interested I thought it might be useful to start a thread of experiences, tips etc as the points you get for jobs can be unpredictable, and not always in accordance with JS's help page!

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    I use it but earn nowhere near £50 per month. I tend to average around a fiver which normally I'd give up as low paying but the fact it takes seconds to do each job means it's not a bother.

Sometimes gets me in trouble with the other half when I suddenly disappear to the other side of the street while we're out shopping :D
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Here are my observations on how points are awarded:

Firstly, whatever it says in the Field Guide, the points awarded seem to be fairly random.

The Field Guide says you get most points for small businesses where the job is available at the premises where the sign is displayed, and least points for chains where a general vacancy sign is displayed, perhaps referring applicants to a website.

While this is generally true, there are exceptions. Where it's a chain, but the vacancy sign says the job is specifically available at that location, points are unpredictable. Sometimes it just seems to go through as though it was a generic chain job ad, and you get 5 points, other times you get more. It seems to be the luck of the draw how thoroughly the submissions are reviewed.

For independent business where the job is clearly at the location, you can still come away with low points if lots of other people have submitted the same job recently. This can be checked on Submission History.

The best scenario seems to be if you're the first person to submit a job at a small business, which is available at the location.

Also some chains don't seem to count as chains i.e. you get much higher points than expected. In my experience, this is usually the big supermarkets.

The Field Guide says they won't accept jobs from agencies, or volunteer opportunities. However, I've found this is not always the case, so they can be worth doing. If it's an agency with a whole window full of jobs, just submit one of them.

It can be confusing when jobs get rejected as Duplicates, when you know you've not submitted them before. This is because someone else has submitted them recently - say within the last hour, though unsure of the exact time window that applies. Even if you do them again a few hours later, you won't get many points, in my experience, so best to wait until, say, the following week.

You are not supposed to submit the same job more than once in each calendar month, otherwise it'll be rejected as a duplicate. I've found they are not always rejected! And the slate is wiped clean at the start of the month, so you can submit a job on 30 June, and the same job again on 1 July, and it shouldn't be rejected as a duplicate.

You can appeal against rejections, or if the wrong business has been identified. Most of my appeals have been successful. If the wrong business is showing and you've got high points though, it's probably not worth questioning it - you could end up with less!

Town and city centres are usually not good places for job spotting, unless you're lucky enough to be the first to submit a job. This will be due to lots of competition from other job spotters. You can do better looking in secondary locations where the footfall is lower, even places like industrial estates.

Some business owners / staff members seem very suspicious when they see you photographing their premises, and some will come out and ask what you're doing. I usually just say the job's for a relative. It can be easier to do your job spotting when businesses are closed (provided of course they don't pull shutters down!).

Don't forget job ads are sometimes displayed inside premises, rather than via a notice in the window. In the case of my local gym, the ad was in a toilet cubicle!
  • kay0601
    kay0601 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve been using it since October last year. So far I’ve redeemed:
    1/11/18 £5.98
    2/1/19 £5.66
    28/1/19 £7.77
    15/4/19 £30.20
    And I’ve got £32.85 to redeem. I’m getting better at remembering to actually take a picture instead of thinking I’ll go back and then forgetting.
  • csreid
    Options
    ThemeOne response is excellent. I've been using the app for a few months now and I've made somewhere between £60 to £70.

I often go out at lunchtimes for a walk to get out of the office or house on a work day.

I had my first run in with a shop worker today who asked what I was doing. I tried to explain I was collecting job vacancies. He accused me of doing it everyday and I think he muttered something about the police too. I'd submitted the job 5 times over the last 90 days so to say he was exaggerating was an understatement. I'll try and do that place in the morning before it opens in the future. It's annoying as while you get something for it you're helping them by getting the job out there to a wider audience.

I think since the last post to this thread a map tab has been added. It's useful as you can see where jobs have been submitted. You can work out areas to target of there aren't many or any jobs posted or of there are jobs submitted over 10 days ago that might now have a higher points total for a resubmission.

I'd also recommend opening the map view before submitting a job in an area so you can make sure your location is up to date. I was visiting my sister's village a few months ago. I got off the bus and when I walked past a shop they had a sign up. I quickly took the pictures and submitted. However initially it tagged a business several miles outside the village. I tried to correct it but then it was rejected completely as it said I wasn't at the location. By the time this had happened I'd gone home as the validation process took several hours.
  • ThemeOne
    Options
    Business owners and staff can be surprisingly hostile if they see you taking the pictures - my cynical side wonders if maybe their business is a bit dodgy, and they think we're officials checking up on them. As you say, we're doing them a favour really. Threatening to call the police seems a massive over-reaction!

You can sometimes take the pictures surrepticiously if you pretend to be on a phone call outside the premises, but there are some business you have to do out of hours or not at all really.

I got a whole string of signs rejected as duplicates recently, and you never see anyone else in the vicinity snapping the signs, so I messaged Indeed for some clarification. They say we should use the map pins as our guide - jobs with a grey pin mean they've been recently submitted and will get marked as duplicates if resubmitted. I knew this already but just never thought of using the map in this way out in the field, so I've learned something useful.

I've also recently noticed a reduction in points - whereas for first submissions you once got up to about 290 points, now it seems to be under 200 - or it has been for me so far this month. Is this the same for everyone?

Good tip about opening the map when submitting from a new location, thanks.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    Here are my observations on how points are awarded:

Firstly, whatever it says in the Field Guide, the points awarded seem to be fairly random.

The Field Guide says you get most points for small businesses where the job is available at the premises where the sign is displayed, and least points for chains where a general vacancy sign is displayed, perhaps referring applicants to a website.

I totally agree. There seems to be no logic behind the points allocation. I have had several instances where I saw a member of staff putting up a job sign for an indie business where you had to contact them directly. All those things should mean big points and I got 5 each time!

I have noticed I am getting a lot of rejections because someone else logged that job before me. I had ten in a row the other day so I assume someone else had recently walked the same street. I don't remember them rejecting that often before unless you accidentally submitted a job you had previously submitted. I think this is going to make the app less lucrative if you live in an area where a lot of Jobspotters live or work.

It is worth doing because it only takes seconds to log each sign you see. But I am doubtful that you can make big money. I have seen people online claiming they make hundreds a month but I can only see that being likely if they live in an area where there are no other people using the app.
  • Hermia
    Options
    Business owners and staff can be surprisingly hostile if they see you taking the pictures - my cynical side wonders if maybe their business is a bit dodgy, and they think we're officials checking up on them. As you say, we're doing them a favour really. Threatening to call the police seems a massive over-reaction!

I find this so baffling. People use their phone camera when they need to note down info all the time now. No one under 60 gets out a pen and paper out to jot down information! When I have been genuinely looking for a job I have photographed the job advert and the store sign so I could remember where I saw it!
  • ThemeOne
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I totally agree. There seems to be no logic behind the points allocation. I have had several instances where I saw a member of staff putting up a job sign for an indie business where you had to contact them directly. All those things should mean big points and I got 5 each time!

I have noticed I am getting a lot of rejections because someone else logged that job before me. I had ten in a row the other day so I assume someone else had recently walked the same street. I don't remember them rejecting that often before unless you accidentally submitted a job you had previously submitted. I think this is going to make the app less lucrative if you live in an area where a lot of Jobspotters live or work.

It is worth doing because it only takes seconds to log each sign you see. But I am doubtful that you can make big money. I have seen people online claiming they make hundreds a month but I can only see that being likely if they live in an area where there are no other people using the app.

Never actually seen a job sign going up - you must have been gutted to only get 5 points ...

When you look at the league table, the people at the top of it really do seem to make a lot of money. I can only assume they get free travel in large urban areas and do jobspotting pretty much like a full time job.
  • Hermia
    Options
    Never actually seen a job sign going up - you must have been gutted to only get 5 points ...

When you look at the league table, the people at the top of it really do seem to make a lot of money. I can only assume they get free travel in large urban areas and do jobspotting pretty much like a full time job.

Maybe. I live in a city centre and there are plenty of job ads but someone has usually got there before me. The best haul I had in a day was when I was visiting a little rural town. I was obviously the first person to submit them so I guess there were no other Jobspotters living there. The drawback is obviously that if you live there you would soon run out of shops. I do wonder if the people making a ton are people who travel for work anyway so are visiting lots of different places.
  • jil_2
    Options
    Here's my experience of JobSpotter. Stated off very well, earned a lot of Amazon vouchers which arrived quite quickly when requested, but since last September points awarded dropped hugely and I wasn't getting vouchers at all, let alone within the advertised two weeks. By mid December I had over £150 worth in my account - seven separate vouchers - repeatedly emailed asking for them, mostly no answer. Then got an email early December apologising and promising that they would be with me within a few days. A week later I received another email telling me my account was closed due to 'too much spam' and all the vouchers were forfeit! I did not understand this at all as I've always been careful only to post genuine hiring ads, and as you all know if an ad has been recently uploaded then it is rejected as a duplicate. How can they accept ads and award points for them and then later claim that they are spam? They completely ignored subsequent emails asking for an explanation, so I have done a LOT of unpaid work for them. Funny that they waited until they owed me a lot of money before banning me! I have since looked online for reviews of JobSpotter and found this has happened to quite a few other people as well. Google it! Maybe Martin could investigate?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure