Partially gifted mortgage deposit (FTB)

Options
anotherjuan
anotherjuan Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 18 January 2020 at 9:16PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I've been asking around on this and have heard a variety of very different answers, so I figure that a few more won't hurt.

My fiance and I are looking to buy our first home this year. We have £25,000 between us. We set ourselves a budget of £250,000 and actually offered on a house on Friday.

I've spoken with three brokers and my own bank, NatWest. All of them were able to provide generic 'decisions in principle' way in excess of £250,000.

One of our brokers told us he'd check on a more specific agreement in principle with Nationwide. Unfortunately, he told us that at 10% they declined the application. He asked if we could stretch to 15% and borrow only £212500 rather than £225000. Apparently this product is at around 2%, fixed for two years.

My fiance's grandmother is German and lives over there. German bank account. She's more than willing to gift us the £12,500 or so needed to hit 15%. We know that foreign gifts require a paper trail. For Nationwide, a gift over £10,000 from the EU/EEA requires the donor to provide bank statements for the past three months.

To keep a long story short, the grandmother is willing to provide evidence of her bank balance over time and confirmation of the income she received from selling her house a couple of years ago.

She is completely aghast at the idea of strangers, or indeed her close family, seeing full bank statements. I am completely confident that she is not some sort of undercover crime kingpin and that it's a cultural/personal thing for her. It's a problem to the extent that when we explained to her that this could derail our entire move (worst case potentially being next year when it's no longer a gift), she said "so be it."

We can probably go ahead and get by without this gift and take the hit with a higher fixed APR. It would however make life much easier if we could use the extra money - it would be a genuine gift which would save us a lot of money in the short and long term.

Stemming from this, I have a couple of questions I'd love some input on.

1. Based on this information, is the money from Germany a non-starter?
2. We gave the broker a basic budget and breakdown of what we were looking for. I understand that one of last week's searches for an AIP was a hard search. Given that we may need to reassess and look to borrow £225,000 (10% deposit), how much leeway do we have in terms of continuing to look for options?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• billymadbiker
    Options
    You could tell the grandmother that she can send the bank statements directly to the solicitor so you and the family won't ever get sight of them.

If she wont provide them then the only other option is for you to find somebody else who has the money and will provide the statements. They can gift you the deposit and grandma can gift them an equivalent amount after the purchase has gone through.
  • billymadbiker
    Options
    You will need to ask the broker why it was declined at 10%.
    If you have given them all correct information then they should have only applied to a lender where they were pretty sure of a successful application.
    Hard credit searches will harm future applications so find out the actual reason for the decline and sort that out before going any further
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We know that foreign gifts require a paper trail.
    All the money involved in any purchase requires a paper trail - foreign gifts, domestic gifts, and your own funds.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Redrose18 wrote: »
    Hi, I hope you are well.

I am an independent, whole of market and fee free mortgage and protection advisor, please feel free to contact me if you would like some help.

serina@Ardentfp.co.uk

Serina, I am not sure that spamming would be a very helpful way of you getting business. You need permission to post on this site advertising your business. Your posts are not helpful at all but are very annoying.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport