My new journey to being debt free

Options
Hi everyone

So as the title suggest this is my new life journey im 32 and in September i will be 33 and i am currently separating from my ex. My aim by 35 is to be half way to debt free or completely debt free but i would like to go on holiday using sunshine this can work out to £10 a week.

I am currently on SSP and UC but have included separate income for when return back to work.

I will be trying to bring some of the outgoings down where possible any suggestions are welcome! I get paid weekly so this is how I've done the outgoings and income

Current income

£112.27 UC
£92.50 SSP
£204.77 Total

Income from may
£324

Outgoings

Rent 105.30
Gas £20 trying to get down to £10/£15 (£5 a week to debt included)
Electric £20 trying to get down to £10/£15(£5 a week to debt included)
TV license £4.25
Phone internet £17.25 trying to reduce
Netflix £5.99- i have Netflix instead of TV package
Water £5
Bailiffs £52.59 stops April 2020
CT £18.90
Mobile 3.75
Animals £7 already as low as i can
Food £20 - trying to reduce
Travel £14.5 - £0 when return to work
Total £291.43

Im try to reduce as much as i can. I have 4 cats i have their food down to £5-7 a week depending on deals they use 2kg a week food tried them on asda tesco poundland aldi they were either sick or after 4 days still refusing to eat so i get go cat normally varies £3-5 the rest is £2 on cat litter and if the food is cheaper i get litter freshener as well but only if the food is on offer

The internet and phone is going down as i don't have their tv but my ex wanted the fastest internet so im trying to get the speed reduced so that i can get a cheaper package.

While on SSP i haven't got enough to cover everything so any suggestions would be great.

Im starting meal plans so that i can reduce my shopping bill

I will post regular updates

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done for taking the first step!
    I can recommend keeping a spending diary. Write down every coffee, every extra buy, keep receipts for shopping etc to see where you can cut there if you want too.
    Batch cook a weeks meals, it get a wee bit boring but if you have a goal in mind the just keep focusing on that.
    Give you self a treat as a reward. Maybe a chocolate bar on a Saturday night or splurge on a nice readymeal on a sat night so u feel you having something for you, it’s a small thing but it really helps.
    Do free stuff!! Help a friend with something, help out at local allotments, u may earn yourself some free food!
    Go for nice walks, go to your local library for books/ dvds when you want a treat too.
    Even the small pennies count :-)
    I hope you are proud of yourself for taking this step! The journey is hard but it’s totally worth it!!
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure