2018/19 tax overview screen

Options
Hi all,

I've been asked by the bank to provide proof of earnings for my mortgage application - my last two self assessment submissions (17/18 & 18/19) as well as various other bits and bobs relating to my business. My accountant submitted my 18/19 self assessment in May (I wanted it completed relatively early in the tax year in preparation for my application), and I paid my balance a month ago.

I've now had a request from the bank for a print out of my Tax Overview screen for 17/18 & 18/19 on the HMRC self assessment site. They made it clear that they needed these screens to show that my balance has been fully paid for both of these tax years.

When I logged on to check, I could see that the 17/18 screen is showing as balanced at £0, but my 18/19 page shows that my tax is still outstanding to be paid. However, on the 'At A Glance' page on the self assessment site, there is a message saying that I've "overpaid" by the amount that I owe for 18/19. Then just below this, there is then a paragraph saying that this same amount is becoming due for payment!

I rang HMRC to query this, and was told in no uncertain terms that the payment I have made for 18/19 won't be allocated to my balance until January - which means that I'm unable to provide the proof that the bank need.

Has anybody else came across a situation like this, and were they able to get it resolved?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ive never come across a lender asking for that document to show your tax has been paid. Especially when its not even due to be paid until January.

That document is usually just used to cross reference against the Tax Calculation to confirm the same numbers used to generate the net profit has actually been submitted to the revenue.

As far as i was aware they are just checking the line on the tax calc that states: Income Tax due after relief and allowances (or something to that affect) is equal to the Tax Year Overview that states total tax due in the year.

I beleive this is to stop people producing a document for mortgage purposes (tax calc) and then submitting it with more deductions to reduce tax.

Just send in the Tax Year Overviews as they are and see what the say.

I have just got 2 cases offered this week where the TYO shows an outstanding amount of tax for the current year. If you have tax due for previous years it may be an issue
  • comedyseeker123
    Options
    Who are you with?

I just had a similar issue - they wanted the Overview to match the SA302. I believe they just want them both to be the same. I think they needed the ‘total income tax due’ on the SA302 plus the Overview to match.

Can you contact your accountant, but I’m guessing you don’t have one.

The bank Halifax had an issue because they “didn’t match”. The bank person was looking at ‘tax due 2020’ for the next FY.

Having tax outstanding I’m not sure if an issue. We pay our tax differently.
  • Hungary971
    Options
    The tax for 18/19 is not due toll 31 jan and therefore will show as a credit on your account. You can call Hmrc and request they send you a copy of your sa302 which should be fine
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is not a problem Knock Knock.

They are concerned where tax is overdue, not the case here.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure