Managing two pension pots to take advantage of the 25% tax free lump sum?

Options
Hello

I have two pension pots and I am trying to understand how I can take advantage of the 25% tax free cash lump sum rules to take the maximum amount from each of them.

I am 61 and effectively retired and no longer work.

Pension 1 is a Defined Benefit - Final Salary scheme. I have been told I can take cash sum out of this to the value of £33K ( The maximum sum permitted by HMRC)
Pension 2 is a Defined Contribution Workplace pension scheme. Currently, I could take a 25% tax free cash sum out of this to the value £37K.

So, can I do the following;-

i.) Take the 25% cash tax free sum from both pensions now?
or
ii.) Can I take the 25% cash tax free sum from one of these now, and then take it from the other pension some other time and keep the tax free advantage?

iii.) Are these pension pots regarded separately by HMRC, or do they expect them to be lumped together for the purposes of taking advantage of the 25% tax free lump sum?

Obviously I will go see a IFA before making a decision, but would like to get some clarification on this before doing anything.

Thanks
Geoff

Comments

• NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They are treated separately.

The DB pension may have restrictions when you can take the TFLS (i.e. you must take it at the start), the D.C won't have a restriction like that.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JethroPark wrote: »
    i.) Take the 25% cash tax free sum from both pensions now?

Yes (assuming that the lump sum from Pension 1 represents 25% - in general there is no requirement for DB schemes to allow any lump sum, and if they do it can be anything up to 25% - the 25% rule only applies to DC pensions.
    ii.) Can I take the 25% cash tax free sum from one of these now, and then take it from the other pension some other time and keep the tax free advantage?

Yes - although if you take the cash free lump sum from Pension 1 you will be probably be expected to start receiving the pension itself.
    iii.) Are these pension pots regarded separately by HMRC, or do they expect them to be lumped together for the purposes of taking advantage of the 25% tax free lump sum?

Each pot is treated separately.
    You also have the option for the DC pot, rather than taking the entire 25% up front, of taking 25% tax free each time you make a withdrawal (your particualr pension schmeen may not allow this approach, but if not you can transfer to one that does).
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Obviously I will go see a IFA before making a decision, but would like to get some clarification on this before doing anything.
    Your situation seems not very complicated so not sure why 'obviously' to see an IFA ( and pay ).
    Their input on the DB scheme could only be minimal .
    What they could more productively advise you on is where to invest the tax free sums and the remaining drawdown pot.
  • SMcGill
    SMcGill Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are both your pensions with your employer scheme? If so, can you take the combined tax free sum from just your DC pension? I believe this could give you the tax free max you want plus a better DB income but someone here will know better than me.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you obtained a state pension forecast?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can take a 25% tax free lump sum from the DC pension now with no adverse consequences.

To comment on the defined benefit one properly we need to know what the lump sum options are, how long it is to the scheme's normal retirement age and what the values are at that age..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure