Money Moral Dilemma: Someone forgot to take their train ticket - should I use it?

Options

Comments

• oshanter
    Options
    There is no moral dilema here. Ask yourself the question, what is the cost of my integrity. If the unfortunate person had left their wallet/purse would you have used it?
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    its fair game, if its imminent as someone said then i would use it, if it was booked in advance id consider handing it in, this kind of thing will happen all the time - its like finding a tenner in the street - keep it!
  • frankmadforit
    Options
    Best bet is to hand it in .If the ticket has paid by credit/debit card then that can be asked to be seen when showing the train ticket.It does seem like "oh i got a free ticket as such", but if that person comes back ,the cctv can easily be checked .So it is always best to hand it back in.All train tickets have numbers on them as well .
  • frankmadforit
    Options
    If you found an advance ticket ,then its best to hand it back in .They can easily find who bought it and all their details and if it was paid by credit/debit card then that card can be asked for when the conductor checks tickets.
  • frankmadforit
    Options
    yes it is fraud and well pointed out and the train tickets remain the property of the train companies .Even people who sell theirs on eBay are breaking the law as well as they would not be valid to use.Good points
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the ticket has paid by credit/debit card then that can be asked to be seen when showing the train ticket

You're just making that up. There is nothing in law or the National Rail Conditions of Travel requiring the credit/debit card to be shown when presenting a physical ticket (some e-tickets may have this requirement).

Additionally, tickets don't show the card number so it could never be validated without checking the back office systems.

And what about people whose employers buy tickets with corporate cards?
  • glider3560
    Options
    If you found an advance ticket ,then its best to hand it back in .They can easily find who bought it and all their details

Easier said than done. There is no central database of who bought what ticket. You'd have to lookup the selling train company or travel agent, then contact them. They wouldn't be able to provide the details due to GDPR.

And if the ticket were bought at a station, then there's no record of who bought it.
  • AndyFras
    Options
    Last year, my husband and I arrived at Manchester Piccadilly station to collect our tickets from the machine. We were in a rush so grabbed the tickets and fled for our train. As we boarded the train for Edinburgh, I noticed that the return tickets were missing. Obviously, there must have been a pause between the outward bound and inward ones being printed. If the next person to use the machine had handed the tickets in to the office, we wouldn’t have had to pay again to come home. Sadly, nobody did.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How could the person who bought the train ticket prove it was theirs, if they came up to you and tried to claim it?

Go ahead. Use it!:)
  • glider3560
    Options
    AndyFras wrote: »
    Last year, my husband and I arrived at Manchester Piccadilly station to collect our tickets from the machine. We were in a rush so grabbed the tickets and fled for our train. As we boarded the train for Edinburgh, I noticed that the return tickets were missing. Obviously, there must have been a pause between the outward bound and inward ones being printed. If the next person to use the machine had handed the tickets in to the office, we wouldn’t have had to pay again to come home. Sadly, nobody did.

You have too much faith in ticket offices.

There's no way of getting a ticket reprinted elsewhere (there is a procedure, but it is only supposed to be used in exceptional cases where a passenger is stranded without money, e.g. after being robbed, and someone buys a ticket for them elsewhere). You would've had to returned to Manchester to collect the ticket.

And you'd have no way of knowing the ticket had been handed in without returning in person. Most ticket offices don't hold phone numbers for other offices from their own company, let alone phone numbers for offices operated by other train companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure