PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 18th August 2019

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning folks.

For once I managed to sleep past 6.00a.m.:j Mind you, I could easily go back under the duvet again.

NMLC - a new car is lovely, cheaper insurance is even lovelier!

TA - such bargains, are these you for your Christmas stash?

Redruby - your new blinds sound lovely. I can imagine that the old velour ones would gather dust.

Dumpling - great news on the PPI claim and a roast pork dinner. Yummy.

ILC - nice to see you posting again.

Small - good luck for your run.

Camelot - I couldn't get potatoes to grow as well as yours, lucky neighbours.

Scarlet - I hope your day is good even without plans, best kind of days.

Silveroldie - a good result for you too. Well done on your persistence.

I had a plan to go out - plan B is to stay in! Tomorrow I have to travel to a nearby town to visit the dental lab so will do the necessary shopping on the way back. DM is still in bed, she's very tired although has asked for two tin cans to exercise her arms, one of the tins is now scheduled for her lunch. :rotfl:

Happy Sunday to all.
  • mrsd
    mrsd Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all
    Busy start to day, catching up on housework while DH and DS are out. The weather was wet earlier so I thought I would make the most of the peace and quiet and do the ironing while watching eat well for less ( I got the cookery book for a bargain 99p in L1dl). My mum will be round later and we are hoping to get out in the garden. DH is cooking dinner this evening, he got some bargain pork steaks so will be making something with them. The bread maker is also on in preparation for lunches for next couple of days. I’m on a mission to use a lot less plastic so it’s nice not to have plastic wrapped bread, I’ve also been topping up my fruit and veg box delivery where needed from green grocers near the office. It’s much nicer to pick my own and put in paper bags. We are switching to bars of soap, shampoo etc. With this in mind I want to make my own yogurt, I’ve seen all sorts of gadgets on the market but not sure the route to take. We don’t have an airing cupboard so I’m now wondering can I use a flask or is it better to buy an electric version? Any advice from you lovely MSers would be appreciated. Now it’s off to do the vacuuming. Have a good day everyone.
    Thoughts to all. Mrs D.
    Grocery challenge £52/£150 for June.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2019 at 10:53AM
    Options
    SMALLHOLDING for freezing soups, casseroles, sauces and the like I use Lakeland Soup 'n' Sauce bags. They are not cheap to start with but can be washed out and re-used time and time again. For more solid stuff, ie Shepherds Pie, lasagne etc, I use the Poundland plastic oblong containers. A pack of around 8 or 10 for £1. (I buy a big roll of labels from Yorkshire Trading Co to stick on them naming the contents!)

GERS the bargains are for me! Apart from the bottle bags which are awaiting bottles to put in them at Christmas time!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all- nice to see some new faces :) welcome.I did start posting yesterday morning,got distracted by the grandkids and forgot all about it until I went back on the laptop last night.All boring stuff anyway :D
    DGC and I picked a few blackberries from across the road yesterday,most of them are unripe yet but got enough to make a crumble,& possibly one for the freezer if I add some apple.Love crumble.
    DH has gone to get some paint ,he has made a cupboard to box the washer and TD in on the landing,just needs painting now and looks so much better.I think he's nearly been inspired to do another outside our bedroom which would give us much needed storage,but I'll not hold my breath yet :D
    I tend to use oblong plastic containers too,if treated nicely they last a long time.If I'm short on space I take the contents out after freezing and wrap in foil or a bag. I save any foil trays I get too.
    Nmlc I invested in an electric pressure cooker,even though I already had a conventional pressure cooker/ & slow cooker/remoska etc ..
    ( what can I say - I like kitchen gadgets! In my defence some of them will be going with DS2 when he moves out in a few months...:D) I love it,it lives out on my worktop.I like that you can saute first,and the fact it has a keep warm function when its finished is very useful when people are eating at different times. Melt in the moth stew in less than half an hour! There are useful groups on FB too.
    Its gone cloudy now after a nice start.DS1 out at a car meet and DS2 putting some new floorboards down in his house.Our nice young neighbours fetched 2 bottles of wine round to say thanks for keeping an eye on their house,taking a parcel in and DH taking the trellis down now the birdies have flown the nest :)
    Hope you all have a nice Sunday x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I also have an electric pressure cooker 6L its brilliant.......stews, casseroles soup, beetroot, cook in one pot meals. I have not tried cakes or bread yet......doubt I will do bread I have a panny which is fab. Both live on worktops so they are easy to use.

Bright, breezy morning, have the towels out on the line, fingers crossed they dry ok.

Roast lamb for tonight, roast veg mint sauce etc........havae to make my mind up about dessert.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    It seems ages since I last posted but RL has been bogging me down lately as Mr Fix It hasn't quite been himself since his last oncology injection, Dad has had a rheumatoid arthritis flare up, so I have been trying to help him more too and now I have a TMJD flare up :(. I have been trying to juggle looking after the Mr Fix it and Dad, the garden, the house, doing some decluttering and being an all round good egg :D. Sometimes I don't even know which way is up :eek: no change there then:rotfl:.
    I want to say sorry to everyone, as all I appear to do lately is whine / moan when I come on here and you have your own problems.

In other news DD and family flew home without a hitch but DD and SiL have now gone off to Germany to celebrate his 40th and the DGC have gone to North Devon with t'other grandparents. All due back on Tuesday now.
    The fence panels are still an ongoing saga as we have to go at Mr Fix It's slow pace ( and mine :eek: ) but there are only 2 left to change, which is a job earmarked for Tuesday . :think: hopefully ! Tomorrow I need to go to town as we have 3 birthdays coming up, including Mr Fix It's and I haven't got a clue as to a present for anyone ( I haven't even got him a card yet !! )
    Today I have done a wash and pegged it out but the weather doesn't look favourable........ Oh well the hokey cokey it is then. Lunch will be roast chicken, roasties, runner beans, honeyed carrots and parsnips all covered with gravy mmmmmmm :drool:. For teatime I have made a trifle using up some stale cake and crushed raspberries ( :shhh: I squashed them a bit when I packed them after shopping. oops ! ) and a jelly found lurking in a cupboard. I only have to make some custard and voila !!

I have been trying to read everyday however I can't remember much, other than AOD's dental problems .....ouch !!!

So I shall send lots of hugs and love to all.
    Take care all

nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all! OH has gone out to play wargames, I am waiting for the clothes on the line to dry, it was raining when I got u but now it's sunny and windy so they shouldn't take long then it's the drive back to Wales.
    Mowed the lawn yesterday so there's no more jungle and swept under the fir tree where I made a makeshift patio [not ours a neighbours, but it's huge and drops loads of bits when it's windy] so the green bin is groaning at the seams.
    No decluterring done here, but am slowly doing it at the house in Wales, which reminds me, better take some tools to break into the shed.

If the OH weren't here I don't know that I'd be bothering to come back, alhough it's very uncomfortable there, I spend most of my time sitting on kicthen chairs in one house or the other and they are not known for their extended comfort properties.
    I had such big plans for things to do and sort out this summer, but they are scuppered and I feel a bit as though I'm in a twighlight zone of conflicting emotions. It;s hard to be cheerful and uncomplaining all the time but there's definitely a little snarling beast of rage and anger and frustration bubbling away. Oh well, needs must etc.
    Best get out ot the garden and pick the beans...green stuff and growing things cheer me up though and doing any kind of physical things leaves no room for thinking.

Welcome newcomers! SH, I freeze stuff in chinese takeaway containers or the same type of container you can get in bargainous BM Bargains. The I run the block upside down in warmish or cool water to release it and it fits perfectly in a few similar size pans I have. I write on them with a sharpie and then that gets scrubbed off when it's cleaned. TA, enjoy your bargains! camelot, every time you say potatoes I think lovely new ones with mint and lashings of butter..so, remind me next March and I'll put some in :) SO good to hear you go that sorted out. dumpling, great news for steve and enkoy the dinner! I am green with envy, I really fancy one! :) Gers, yep, it's the creeping knackeredness...any more news on private respite? The District nurses in Wales in my fathers part of it anyway, have a new thing where they provide the care up to four times a day. Do you have anything like that there? Not good to hear she's going a bit downhill but heartening to hear she's excercising! That did make laugh about the tins though! mrsd, breadmakers always seem to end up on Freecycle, and I did have one quite a few years ago but I was doing something wrong, and I really couldn't get on with the paddle holes. Can you use them to mix and rise and then cook in the oven or not? rr, it makes such a difference to change curtains and blinds to the whole room!
    Woctha missings - I miss you :)
    Strenuous Sunday!
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    T took me so long to write that I missed out RR, csarina and nanny, so - hiya!! Not good to hear about your various health problems with your father and OH and you nanny, here's to them ameliorating quickly!
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    TA - good for you! I hope you enjoy your bargains.

Taff - daily care visits are available here, free of charge, however DM isn't keen on strangers washing her. She can get to the shower if I set it all up and clear it down. It's the three meals a day plus all the other looking after which is relentless. DM is now very good at not being so demanding (a bit). Also I'd have to be here to let carers in so that negates any benefit. I'll actively look for private respite next week.

Given all that I know that my situation is almost easy compared to a huge number of those caring for loved ones. DM is fully cognitive (with minor lapses recently) and so well able to amuse herself wirh books, crosswords, reading and emailing. I appreciate this.

I'm finding it difficult to climb out of my jimjams so far. I'm probably putting off the decision until it's too late to be worthwhile. :rotfl:
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    -taff
    My panasonic bm certainly has a dough programme which I sometimes use and then bake in the oven with good results

dumpling forgot to say wow on Steve'sPPi that's great
    Nice to see you back nannywindow,we all moan from time to time on here,don't worry about it

xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure