Xbox Game Pass

Options
Apologies if this has been posted before but I can't seem to find a topic on it anywhere after a search...

For those of you already with an Xbox this may be obvious as it is well advertised on the console, however for those of you new to Xbox or considering buying one, they offer a service called Xbox Game Pass.

This is essentially a subscription service that allows you access to literally hundreds of games. It costs £1 per month for your first 3 months which then increases to £7.99 a month thereafter.

Games are stored in a library which you can browse and then download a digital copy of any game you'd like to try. As with any service like this, larger titles are not included straight away but there is often occasions where smaller developers will release games directly onto the Game Pass library and you do see more popular games get added frequently after they have been in stores for a while.

As of today I count there are 223 games available, with lots of classic titles, backwards compatibility games and more.

I just thought I'd share this in case anybody wasn't aware or if there are parents looking at a cheaper way to feed their children's gaming habit as it is definitely great value for money in my opinion.

Comments

• Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a good service! It's the kind of thing I was viciously opposed to when I first heard about it. "An ongoing fee to play games? They're only available for a limited time, then you have to stop playing or pay for the full digital download? But my bargain preowned games! My beautifully alphabetised shelves of boxed games!"

Having tried it, however, I really am quite a fan. The fact that some triple-A mainstream games are available immediately from release is a huge selling point, plus a large triple-A back catalogue. Also, it allows you to try a multitude of obscure indie games that you'd probably pass up or ignore if you had to pay money to download them individually, and I've played some really enjoyable hidden gems this way.

Many of the games won't be suitable for all ages, but if you're a parent on a limited budget, I would say subscribing to Xbox Live Gold (which itself gives you 4 free-to-keep games per month, plus all the Free To Play stuff like Fortnite and World of Tanks) and additionally GamePass makes a lot more financial sense than splashing out £40+ per game.
    : )
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pay for it, not sure if it is value for money. I suppose it depends ont eh games you play.

If youre playing the chart titles only its going to be of little use unless you want to play the out of date chart toppers.

Its annoying, ive bought two games recently which i had my eye on for ages and within a few weeks of them coming out and buying them they had both been put on the game pass. They where the £20-30 style games. So if you play them it seems like its definitely worth it, as the majority are along those lines.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You also get to test games eg the Gears of War is available to test from 19th for 10 days, it's on hukd.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was a deal just on the dashboard about converting your existing subscription for gold to gamepass ultimate for 1 quid. Not sure if it is still running or finished.

One of the posts above said it's not so good for chart games but latest forza horizon, sea of thieves, crackdown 2 and upcoming gears of war 5 all on from the day they launch. That alone makes it worthwhile, but there are plenty other Indie games on there too.
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you haven't heard of Microsoft rewards, get involved. For clicking a few links a day you can earn enough points for free game passes.
    I managed to get enough points to pay for my xbox live for a year.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you haven't heard of Microsoft rewards, get involved.

Indeed. I've now got enough points for a year. And they've removed the 12 month option!!
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Indeed. I've now got enough points for a year. And they've removed the 12 month option!!

The 3 month option also seems to have disappeared. When I did it, 12 months was on a special deal. I've saved enough points for another year (you can stack about 3/4 years membership payments I think) and I'm waiting for the deal to pop up again. If not I'll just get the single months at a time.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income