How to track out-of-serps pension

Options
Hi, many years ago I think I opted out of serps (very recommended then).

No idea who I opted out with/to (it was a long time ago)

How do I find out?

Thanks

Comments

• gm0
    gm0 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One day (don't hold your breath) the proposed government pensions portal may come to your aid with all industry schemes accessible in one place. (Cynically it will likely be years if ever before all schemes are on it). If you have time to wait it will save some effort - maybe - if it doesn't get canned.

In the mean time you can perhaps try and jog your memory as to "when" it happened by looking at your State pension contribution record NI years on the government site. If you are turning attention to pension planning this will be a sensible thing to get around to at some point anyway. It won't tell you where the private pension was held. Topic in itself about "offsets" - there are threads on it as it has changed enough over the years to be baffling upon first contact. The website is precise to the legislation rather than helpful.

Pension tracing is indeed a thing but obviously harder the less information there is - names, years, employer names, scheme names, pension company/fund names, roll numbers, nino used etc. Can't be much help on best approach beyond google tips as (luckily) I haven't had to do it. Hopefully someone with positive and direct experience will chime in.

A lot of people (me included) were nudged in the 80s/90s to "contract out" often for PAYE in the context of an occupational (employer) scheme but for some I guess a personal pension or other rare breed family/small business pensions trust arrangements.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

And see post 23 here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6009662&page=2
    DWP holds a detailed record of the periods of contracted-out and contracted-in employment, indexed by NI number. The guy I spoke to at DWP gave me the complete breakdown of my record over the phone. No values or employers, just the dates of employment and whether contracted-out or in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Write to the NISPI who will give you a detailed breakdown within around 4 weeks of where and when you were contracted out, then track down the pension providers from that information
    I know, they sent me a letter last month
    Here are the details, verbatim from a email they sent me

You can contact the National Insurance Services to the Pension Industry (NISPI) who will be able to assist you with regards to the period of time in which you have been contracted out of the State Earnings Related Pension Scheme (SERPS) and paying into another pension scheme. Their contact details are:

NISPI
    National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office
    HM Revenue and Customs
    BX9 1BX
    United Kingdom
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts