Do you struggle with dates of Pay day and direct debits?

Options
2»

Comments

• Fiona_CW
    Fiona_CW Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have 2 jobs. One of them pays monthly on 12th, the other pays 4 weekly. When I get paid I transfer money to cover direct debits to my savings account and set up transfers back to current account the day before each DD so that always money to cover them
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have had problems when companies insist on payment dates far away from pay day! That's just because of me spending the money I should have put by for the bill!
    Maybe you need to make a little chart. Once you have a system just stick to that.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Give the companies in question a call and ask to change the DD date. I have done this several times in the past and there were no problems.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2018 at 1:46PM
    Options
    Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel you are scapegoating payment dates for a more serious problem and I feel that following the path you are on now will leave you in serious financial difficulties in the near future.
    Imladris wrote: »
    rarely did the weekly pay amount to some of the bigger bills like rent and council tax

And why would it? Why would you expect your weekly pay to conveniently cover your monthly bills? Regardless of when you get paid, your income and liabilities will still be the same every month.
    As a result, we have lots of under £500 debts with energy or media suppliers, due to payments falling behind due to this complication, plus credit card debts where we had to supplement income most months.

But luckily you were able to satisfy these debts with the surplus income you presumably had when you did receive payments, right? Also what is a 'media supplier'? Do you mean internet or Sky or something? You seem to have accrued a lot of debts with these service companies for an issue you've stated is merely what day you have to pay them?

Sure it would be great if everyone was paid and all bills were due on the last day of the month but such is life, part of which is learning to budget and not spend beyond your means. Personally, I think you need to accept the real issue here, write out a statement of affairs (http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php) detailing your situation and get help before it develops.

I see it all too often on these forums that someone has found themselves in financial hardship but instead rationalises this by becoming angry at a seemingly irrelevant point. Just last week, I was reading about a tenant who hadn't paid rent for 9 months, who made a threat complaining about the landlord because the notice of eviction was dated four days after she received it (so he'd been slow sending it) and was convinced she was a victim and was asking for advice for how to recourse through the courts on that basis.

An extreme example but it's how humans deal with things, and I think you should reflect on what the real issue is here.
    I'm thinking .gov petition

Madness
    Know what you don't
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    I work out what my direct debits/outgoings are for the month and put them into a seperate account that I don't touch. Then all the other extra money goes into another which I use for other spends. That way I don't touch the money set aside for bills. It works well for me.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would second Chandalier's post and say open another bank account. Would the housing and child benefit pay all the bills? If so, or nearly, change bank details for those and leave them. It will take some juggling and you may have to pay some money upfront (which another poster mentioned) to try and get the dd's better for you. If you are in debt to some companies they won't allow you to pay by standing order but if you can, pay small amounts up front until you build up to a monthly payment, do it and then ask to switch to standing order. You will need to keep the DD active but for most co's if they have the monthly payment before it's due, they don't take it.

My husband is weekly paid but it is every Friday so we know. I pay almost all by weekly standing order (from a separate account) except life insurance and BG for gas and electricity. A good deal was shown on here but they have messed our payments around so I may go back to SO in the new year. Mortgage, council tax (I start in March so April's is paid by 2/4 and I over pay so it's finish by end of November), water, barclaycard, premium bonds, BT and vodafone are all paid weekly. A speadsheet or pen and paper. It's doable, good luck.
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive tried to do what Chandelier does but after my bills I don't have any money for living costs except for my self employed income which comes in sporadically and Universal credit payments which are anywhere between £44 and £305

Nat
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • LMCD
    LMCD Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, after too long in debt and trying to deal with normal bills, my best options were to first draw up a spreadsheet...one side had outgoing, the other side incoming. Apply the dates for both sides. Then I Cut back or changing on unnecessary outgoings such as high paying tv packages which also you can do via quidco to get cashback.

I then worked it out with the companies for a dates that suited. To be honest most companies are flexible! They are getting paid after all.

Writing it all down on paper or on spreadsheet apps on phone will help you work out what dates you need for what and explain to the companies involved. highlight when paid both in and out. You will get there.

I get paid weekly.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    OP, it sounds like your problem is at least partly that you're overspending (hence the debt). Changing payment days won't solve that.

You need to work out exactly what you're spending and where and compare that to your income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure