Business Loan Rates

Options
Hi.

I'm about to start my own business, which I'll likely fund myself with a loan of £10k which will be used for working capital / cashflow.

Repayment terms will be over 12 months and I'm wondering what rate of interest to charge my company? I had a quick look around but it seems most sites want you to apply before providing indicative rates.

Barclays seem to offer up to £25k at 10% but is that too much to charge? I don't want the taxman thinking I'm using artificially high rates or anything, but 10% would be a lovely return for me personally! :)

What would you guys charge?

Comments

• somethingcorporate
    Options
    Is it a directors loan into a limited company? Are you sure in the first year of trading you are going to be able to extract such large sums to pay it back?
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • DoctorStrange
    Options
    Yes, it'll be a director's loan and I'm confident I'll be able to afford the repayments in year 1 as I've already verbally secured a good sized piece of business (although obviously I'm willing to delay repayments or even write it off if things go badly!)
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    As long as it's a comparable commercial rate you are ok (you should get your accountant to confirm this and make sure you are treating it correctly from a tax perspective).
  • DoctorStrange
    Options
    What would a comparable rate be though?

I can't seem to find much info on commercial rates without putting in a proper application.

Is 10% too generous?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Do you have an accountant yet? I suggest this would be a question to ask them if you are struggling for comparators.
  • DoctorStrange
    Options
    He just says it must be at commercial rates and that I can't charge anything ridiculous like 100%.

Thing is, I've seen some sites at over 50%!

I want to charge 10% but not sure if that's too much.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I assume he will be well aware of what commercial rates are given what you are asking is fairly common practice. I am surprised they are not willing to commit to/confirm a number.

If you can find a business loan from a big bank (like barclays) for 10% then this would seem reasonable to me (but I am not a qualified professional, this is not advice etc etc)..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport