Gym routine help

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1-2-1 sessions are worth every penny for someone starting out at the gym.... There are so many different things you can do and everyone is different in what aspect of the gym they enjoy most....

You can do weight loss through cardio machines, free weights, gym classes or combinations of all three..... Going to the gym needs to be enjoyable or you just won't go! Your personal trainer should construct a routine which suits your goals but also involves activities that you will enjoy and feel comfortable doing

Obviously with your heart condition its hard for the normal gym-goer to recommend any workouts as it could put you at risk....especially HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training) as this may put too much strain on your heart

I say good luck and well done :T

PS. No one should ever be ashamed or embarrassed in the gym because you are there to 'improve' yourself whether its losing weight, gaining size or increasing fitness.....You cannot have anything but admiration and respect for anyone that gets off their back side and does something about the thing that bothers them
  • blacksleepofkali
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    I can go exercise my cardiologist recommends it.

I was actually 19 stone 13.5. I!!!8217;ve lost 2 and half stone prior to going to the gym. Stop fat shaming people. I!!!8217;m actually doing something about it. I am ready to go the gym but I wasn!!!8217;t prior due to being embarrassed.

Anyways I went to the gym did some cardio and weights.

I am not even going to ask my next question now because of one person on here.

So, tell us. How is it going so far? Did you already make any improvements concerning your problems? How is it going with your heart condition?

I think it is very important that you stick to a recommended training routine, in order to keep the level of any further heart problems low. And even though going to the gym is an important part of losing weight as it helps you to burn more calories and keeps you strong, the real key to lose weight is reducing calories of your daily intake. I know that is easier said than done but it is very important to watch your diet and to watch your calorie intake.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1-2-1 sessions are worth every penny for someone starting out at the gym.... There are so many different things you can do and everyone is different in what aspect of the gym they enjoy most....

You can do weight loss through cardio machines, free weights, gym classes or combinations of all three..... Going to the gym needs to be enjoyable or you just won't go!

PS. No one should ever be ashamed or embarrassed in the gym because you are there to 'improve' yourself whether its losing weight, gaining size or increasing fitness.....You cannot have anything but admiration and respect for anyone that gets off their back side and does something about the thing that bothers them

This, absolutely this.

I know at my gym members are actively encouraging of those there for the first time, trying to lose weight etc.

I am getting on (nearly 65), with a few problems (arthritis/sciatica etc) and few too many pounds (losing a few, though). I still do classes - some I have to do at the lowest level - and most of the other class participants are much younger and much fitter. But, they and the class teachers are hugely supportive of my attempts and a number of them are now good friends of mine.

It may be worth trying classes when you have been there a while. If it's a good gym the teachers will be very aware of the different levels that people are at and instruct accordingly - and keep an eye on you. Personally, I work out harder in a group and am more motivated and enjoy it more.

Must be something to do with being shouted at!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure