lulabelle1
lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 May 2016 at 12:15PM in Mortgage-free wannabe

Comments

• Twiddy
    Twiddy Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lulabelle and welcome to the boards (or the MFW Bible as I like to call it!). You've already made great in-roads on your current mortgages and seem to have the right mindset to put bigger dents into it so well played and keep up the good work!!

To help you calculate an approximate date for completion I suggest you take a look at the ultimate mortgage calculator found here. There are also loads of others you could try via Google etc...

All the best
    T

:)
    Current Mortgage: £113,829
    Standard MF Date: May 2030
    MFW Target Date: Jun 2023
    On Target to complete: Feb 2027
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Twiddy and for the calculator....

If I o/p by £499 per month on the smaller mortgage, then this should be paid off in around 5 years.
    If I o/p by just the £125 (which they auto take by DDM) on the larger mortgage, then this will not be paid off for approx 12 years.

So, I need to find ways to increase the £125 payment as I was really hoping to have this one paid off quicker too.

Open to money saving suggestions, but to spending hours doing surveys etc as already too busy!!
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Lulabelle!

Good luck on your new MFW adventure.

Just a little thought though - are you able to overpay on Mortgage No 1? The interest rate on No 2 is so low that you can probably get savings elsewhere. If possible, you should put that payment back down to the minimum possible and stick the other £125 to No 1. If you can't overpay on No 1 then you could probably find a savings account (do you have an ISA or regular saver?) that pays more interest.
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    lvm wrote: »
    Hey Lulabelle!

Good luck on your new MFW adventure.

Just a little thought though - are you able to overpay on Mortgage No 1? The interest rate on No 2 is so low that you can probably get savings elsewhere. If possible, you should put that payment back down to the minimum possible and stick the other £125 to No 1. If you can't overpay on No 1 then you could probably find a savings account (do you have an ISA or regular saver?) that pays more interest.

Hi there.

Mortgage 1 is on a fixed rate until next Summer, unfortunately the most I can o/p is £500 per month, which I have been doing for some time. I thought I would continue to do this until this one reverts to the BMR too.

Mortgage 2 - this is currently on a fixed rate and then reverts to BMR next month, so rather than paying a reduced payment, I figured that I would keep it at the £650 as I'm used to paying this amount each month.

I hear what you are saying about savings. I guess any additional money over the £625 that I was able to overpay would be better invested elsewhere......? It brings me back to some old thinking which was is it better to save or overpay the mortgage....?

I have a little bit in savings, but just in a regular account that gives me zilch interest, there's approx £4,000 in there, but some of it is earmarked for next years holiday, christmas etc etc.

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Sorry lvm, I have no regular savings account or ISA's. I did have these things approx 3 years ago but the rates were so low that I used the money saved to o/p on my mortgages instead.
    I have no other debts apart from my mortgage.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi LB1, I only started my diary and it's quite nerve wracking starting it off but I am finding that it really helps to focus me.

Good luck in your quest and the guys on the board are a great bunch and really supportive. We all have different stories to tell but ultimately one goal. :T
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Thanks Tilly, I spotted your diary a couple of days ago and subscribed to it!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Austerity measures have started, beans on toast for my lunch today, lol!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    The cupboards are bare, so need to go food shopping later. This is the most ridiculous expense and I really need to get better here. I need to find a budget meal planner as I spend around £600 per month currently including cleaning stuff, toiletries, nappies etc. I know this is crazy and this is where I will start to focus some attention and effort....
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    I've been going to Aldi first followed immediately by a trip to Tesco to get the remaining items. Unfortunately, DH seems to make trips to Sainsburys every day and always ends up buying "extras"......

I'm realising that I need to get DH on side if this is ever going to work. I'm the main income provider for the family and sometimes feel really fed up when I try and be good with the money and then DH doesn't seem to have the same kind of concern. He hasn't got a clue about our outgoings, he has no interest. he does his part time job and then spends most of his time playing with the kids or going out biking (his expensive hobby which drives me insane)..... rant over, for now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure