Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Yep, Rampion started delivering power late Nov. It has 3.45MW WT's, changed from 7MW due to planning issues and a total farm reduction from 700MW to 400MW.

VIDEO: Rampion wind farm is completed

You can see in real time what it and other offshore windfarms are generating here
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2018 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Interesting item from this weekend's Carbon Commentary looking at the change in opinion over wind farms:-
    2, Public attitudes to wind. The UK government published the results of its regular survey into public opinion on energy. The support for onshore wind has strengthened. More are in favour (76%), and fewer are opposed (9%), than ever before. Nevertheless, all but the smallest wind developments are effectively blocked by government policy in the UK. (Some other European states are moving in the same direction). UK policy is driven by the fact that the current government!!!8217;s strongest supporters are predominantly old and old people tend to oppose wind. But one fact not picked by the wide coverage of the survey in British publications is that most of the recent increase in support for wind, and the reduction in opposition, came from the over 65+ age group. In the latest survey just 14% of over 65s opposed onshore wind but almost five times as many supported it. It should not be long before policy changes back to supporting the cheapest form of electricity generation in the UK. (More on this at Carbon Commentary).

This weekend popped up to 'our' 2.3MW local WT with some MSE visitor friends. Standing approx 50-100m from the base we noted zero noise coming from the blades. It was doing 12rpm, so a light wind, as it usually runs at approx 20rpm in stronger winds, but whenever I've stopped for a look and listen when cycling passed in the past, I've never been able to hear any noise from it.

I suspect the increase in popularity for on-shore wind, but more importantly, the drop in opposition, is that the reality of deployment is overtaking the fear of the unknown.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,139 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Interesting item from this weekend's Carbon Commentary looking at the change in opinion over wind farms:-

This weekend popped up to 'our' 2.3MW local WT with some MSE visitor friends. Standing approx 50-100m from the base we noted zero noise coming from the blades. It was doing 12rpm, so a light wind, as it usually runs at approx 20rpm in stronger winds, but whenever I've stopped for a look and listen when cycling passed in the past, I've never been able to hear any noise from it.

I suspect the increase in popularity for on-shore wind, but more importantly, the drop in opposition, is that the reality of deployment is overtaking the fear of the unknown.

Thanks Mart, an interesting post as I've long struggled to understand the opposition to onshore wind farms. Admittedly there have been no proposals for the develpment of one in our area, but being of that guilty generation, I've always likened them affectionately to windmills. Being nothing more than big friendly giants and far preferable to the addition of another nuclear station along the coast at Sizewell. As you state, it's perhaps fear of the unknown that drives people into opposition. But when wind power has been harnessed for the good of mankind for centuries, I've certainly struggled to understand why. On this topic at least and in the words of Bob Dylan lets truly hope "The times they are a changing"!:)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 30 April 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    TOn this topic at least and in the words of Bob Dylan lets truly hope "The times they are a changing"!:)

It's nice to see that 'mothers and fathers' (actually grandmothers and grandfathers) are coming round, perhaps the article is right and politicians will do so too.

Come senators, congressmen
    Please heed the call
    Don't stand in the doorway
    Don't block up the hall
    For he that gets hurt
    Will be he who has stalled
    There's a battle outside and it is ragin'
    It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls
    For the times they are a-changin'

Come mothers and fathers
    Throughout the land
    And don't criticize
    What you can't understand
    Your sons and your daughters
    Are beyond your command
    Your old road is rapidly agin'
    Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Hmmm, yes maybe. But don't bank anything much on my thoughts. Being out of step with the majority of my generation, I voted remain.
    Just to get back a little closer on topic I'd like to pose the following question:-
    If we all had V2H and/or storage then would the requirement for V2G still stand up?
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,549 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mart, an interesting post as I've long struggled to understand the opposition to onshore wind farms. Admittedly there have been no proposals for the develpment of one in our area, but being of that guilty generation, I've always likened them affectionately to windmills. Being nothing more than big friendly giants and far preferable to the addition of another nuclear station along the coast at Sizewell. As you state, it's perhaps fear of the unknown that drives people into opposition. But when wind power has been harnessed for the good of mankind for centuries, I've certainly struggled to understand why. On this topic at least and in the words of Bob Dylan lets truly hope "The times they are a changing"!:)

Or maybe this Bob Dylan oldie:idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwgrjjIMXA
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hmmm, yes maybe. But don't bank anything much on my thoughts. Being out of step with the majority of my generation, I voted remain.
    Just to get back a little closer on topic I'd like to pose the following question:-
    If we all had V2H and/or storage then would the requirement for V2G still stand up?

I suppose they are very similar, but whereas V2H would provide your power needs, or some of it, V2G would mean vehicles parked up charging almost anywhere could help support the grid, and your vehicle might provide more power than you need in order to export some too and support the grid. The same with domestic batteries where you could be paid something closer to peak rates for any energy you export during demand peaks/price peaks.

Boring bit now - but just in case some numpty wants to start a pedant argument - power on the distribution networks can't go back up to the transmission network, but ..... if the 'grid' is struggling with centralised supply across Britain, or even just in one area, then vehicle or stationary batteries on the distribution network will reduce the amount of supply needed from The National Grid, by reducing demand at the sharp end.

• Martyn1981
    edited 30 April 2018 at 5:41PM
    Options
    legoman62 wrote: »

Perfect! LOL.

I'm a Dylan fan, I particularly love Shelter from the Storm - Jerry Maquire soundtrack.

• Coastalwatch
    Options
    legoman62 wrote: »

Nice one Mart :D. My siblings and I drove our parents nuts in the sixties trying to emulate him, guitar and all. Although never having mastered that instrument I naturally didn't attempt the mouth organ in tandem.:eek:
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Great article on storage, and the UK features heavily.

Renewable Energy Storage Takes Off in Europe
    As a result of falling barriers to installation, the levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) for all the leading technologies is decreasing. This is causing fossil fuel power to face an unprecedented challenge in all three roles it performs in the energy mix: the supply of bulk generation, the supply of dispatchable generation, and the provision of flexibility. With capital costs for renewables falling and both generation limits and efficiencies rising, when coupled with the plummeting costs of storage—given its inherent ability to smooth output, and if necessary, shift the timing of supply—fossil fuel power stations are simply being fenced in.

“Our team has looked closely at the impact of the 79% decrease seen in lithium-ion battery costs since 2010 on the economics of this storage technology in different parts of the electricity system. The conclusions are chilling for the fossil fuel sector,” said Elena Giannakopoulou, head of energy economics at BNEF. “Some existing coal and gas power stations, with sunk capital costs, will continue to have a role for many years, doing a combination of bulk generation and balancing, as wind and solar penetration increase. But the economic case for building new coal and gas capacity is crumbling, as batteries start to encroach on the flexibility and peaking revenues enjoyed by fossil fuel plants.”

Lower Costs, Larger Energy Storage Installations

Battery units in the 10 MW to 20 MW range already online in Europe are being eclipsed by new 50-MW facilities now being built. And with new investments by Tesla and others taking batteries to 100 MW (at the moment limited to Australia, but watch for other announcements soon), the combined synergy is gaining steam and attracting major players.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback