Is this gaming PC any good?

Hi all,

Could I get your opinion on:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...ming-pc-10164418-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Is it value for money? Could I build it myself and save money? Will it run the latest games?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Link leads to a 404 error. Using the item number in the address though....do you mean the vortex minerva xt-r with i5 and nvidia gtx 1060 @ £999.99?

The graphics card is good but processor not so much imo.

This is typically what retailers do though - pair a really good CPU with mediocre GPU or vice versa.

Price up what the components would cost separately - and be aware sometimes better/newer components can be cheaper than ones that aren't being manufactured anymore.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Will always be cheaper building yourself. And by all means look at PCWorld for an idea but NEVER buy from them. They are overpriced.
  • s0mojo
    s0mojo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As someone who's worked for PC World, yeah I'd avoid anything PC related, especially their gaming machines. Check out Overclockers or Scan for prebuilt systems
  • thunder367
    thunder367 Posts: 11 Forumite
    look up what u need price it up using scan uk they have some of the best deals in uk.if ur local to bolton go vist them they will help u out.they also have a huge display of what u can get.i use them all the tiem for pc bits.im due to upgrade at end of year and going for a i7 with at least a 1060gt may even push to a 1080.but ill be spending like 1500 on my pc
  • Lagamorph
    Lagamorph Posts: 44 Forumite
    Best place to go if you're planning a self build is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/
    You can put in the parts you want and it'll identify where is selling them the cheapest. It doesn't always list every retailer but it can certainly help in saving a few quid.

It'll also help identify compatibility problems (Ie it'll identify if you pick a CPU that isn't compatible with the socket of your chosen motherboard)
  • jcol
    jcol Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2018 at 12:38PM
    I wonder what the OP done?
    Did they buy the overpriced PC world pc or got one built for them?

edit, just checked some of them out, a £700 pc that doesn't even include a SSD, is laughable in 2018
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jcol wrote: »
    I wonder what the OP done?
    Did they buy the overpriced PC world pc or got one built for them?

edit, just checked some of them out, a £700 pc that doesn't even include a SSD, is laughable in 2018

It depends on the spec of the PC, for that price range I'd prefer it not to have an SSD and instead a better processor or graphics card as companies often hugely overcharge for a low end 128GB SSD or similar. Given how easy it is to fit an SSD and it's likely a hard drive will also be needed for a gaming PC, I'd rather fit my own choice of decent SSD.

John
  • Zygyra
    Zygyra Posts: 6 Forumite
    try te search on others resourses, i think this price may be lowest
  • Yeah, search the web, there are plenty of places with decent prices so that you can build a good PC for the lowest budget possible
  • PC World definitely the last place you should go to buy a PC, not only are they overpriced but the customer support if something goes wrong is close to useless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure