Running a business from home and home insurance

Options
Hi my adult stepson has started a business from our home using our address as his trading address. He is selling goods which he stores at our house. Will this affect our home insurance?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could do if the items stored are inflammable and you have a fire. As well as insurance his business may be contravening planning law and possibly breaching a covenant on the house.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes, you have to notify your insurer - anything other than clerical work usually incurs an additional premium, particularly if there is stock stored at home.

You should also speak to your local council, as you may not be allowed to run that kind of business from your house. Particularly if it means extra visitors and traffic to your home.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes - they will want to know the value of goods kept, the nature of the business, any cash kept at the property, visitors in and out of the property whether he has any public liability insurance etc. Call your insurer asap :)
  • winspiration
    Options
    You will need to notify your home insurer. I run a business from home and it hasn't been an issue, I don't have anyone calling at the house. It does tend to cut down a bit on the options when shopping around for policies, current insurance is with Nationwide and still at a reasonable price. It would be a good idea for your son to take out separate business insurance to cover his stock and other aspects of the business (product / public liability etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure