Clear/Mesh Backpacks at work - Where do we stand?

Options

Comments

• Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Potentially fired for having a personal mobile phone?! Sounds incredibly authoritarian. Pretty much every modern workplace recognises, at a minimum the need for employees to be able to effectively manage their personal life around their job such as communicating when they're going to be finishing work. If employees can't use their mobiles then they can't be flexible such as staying on shift longer because they have no way of communicating with their family.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I don't think using your own bag inside their bag is going to work, they're obviously wanting to screen what's going out into the vans with the drivers for whatever reason as you'll know that staff members are the highest cause of shrinkage in the Asda group, it's in the stupid training videos they made you watch during your two day boot camp.

If this isn't rolling out in every store then your store is having a mega shrinkage issue and they've identified your department. If you kick off they'll think it's you. If you act smart and turn up with your own back pack inside their back pack they'll think it's you and you'll have your back side hauled in for searches every shift until they find what they're looking for.

Expect you and your colleagues discount cards to be under surveillance as well and your routes to be mystery shopped to the max. Now is not the time to be accepting cash tips.

Just do as you're told and use the bags. What do you have anyway? An Asda issued satnav and phone unit in one, your lunch and receipt for it to prove it's been paid for... you shouldn't have any personal items that cause embarrassment, you shouldn't have your own personal mobile phone - that's an instant sacking if they find it on your person - so who cares if Asda's gear gets wet, if it does raise it as a concern and tell them it's because of the mesh bags and put in a suggestion for a clear bag.

ETA don't use your personal mobile phone ever! Unless your people manager has signed a letter with your name on it and authorised you to have your phone on you then just don't. It might seem sensible and you might not be on the shop floor so you don't think the same rules apply but every rule in the hand book applies equally and I know 2 Home shopping drivers who were sacked when the winds changed and they were searched and had their mobiles on them. Just put your phone in your locker and say it's broke and you need Asda to provide a unit that works correctly.

In the unlikely event that you're in a union (I know it's discouraged) get in touch with them or raise it at the colleague circle. But don't risk your job by letting Asda provide you with rubbish work equipment then let them use that as an excuse to fire you because someone is tea leafing.

Yikes!! Is it really like that?! :o
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2018 at 11:03PM
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »

In the shop I worked in people were sacked for:
    Having a 20p piece in their fleece pocket during a spot check

Having a packet of chewing gum in their pocket during a spot check

Being caught with their mobile phone on the shop floor X 5

Having sex in the bakery (well to be fair that's justifiable and they were seen by customers!)

Reducing items that weren't to be reduced for their mate so their mate got an entire shop for 10p per item every week for months

Reducing high value items then hiding them, clocking out, retrieving the items, buying them, going home then selling them on eBay.

There was some incident around a scratchcard and it was a colleague saying the prize was £2 not £200 but I can't remember the specifics of that one.

For the most part you just did your job. Upstairs there's a line on the floor and any cash in your pocket over that line was gross misconduct. You had a card that you put cash into and that card bought you stuff in the staff canteen, you had a separate card for clocking in and out. You could have a pen. If you wanted to buy something for lunch from the shop you had to go upstairs and out the staff entrance and enter the shop as a customer, buy the product get the cashier to sign the receipt , keep the receipt, go back outside and in the staff entrance, return all cash to your locker, go back over the cashless line and enter the shop through the staff stairs again.

There were random searches but you could tell that the searches weren't random. When I was there at one point the random searches were suddenly on Tuesdays between 7 and 9 pm and then they sacked the girl who was planking stuff she'd reduced around the store and those searches stopped. Once it was weekday mornings between 8 and 10. Sometimes it was locker searches but they were looking for reduction guns, they didn't care about anything else.

ETA think about it, those van drivers could put anything in their bags and drive out of the warehouse. The warehouse cages have high value goods in them but if they've previously worked in departments they could have access to cages full of dvds or console games that would fit into a backpack. No one would query someone in a uniform standing in a warehouse cage in a supermarket. No one ever questioned me in a cage and I didn't even wear the standard uniform as I worked for the opticians.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    if you need to use your mobile you can do so from the locker room, never from the shop floor, warehouse or van.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »

I believe Walmart are not known for their employee friendly policies.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    Potentially fired for having a personal mobile phone?! Sounds incredibly authoritarian. Pretty much every modern workplace recognises, at a minimum the need for employees to be able to effectively manage their personal life around their job such as communicating when they're going to be finishing work. If employees can't use their mobiles then they can't be flexible such as staying on shift longer because they have no way of communicating with their family.
    Being old enough to have worked for many years before I had a mobile phone, I really don't think this is a major issue. You manage your personal life the same way as we used to: if there's an emergency in your personal life, a call is made to the employer's landline. If you're being asked to work overtime, your answer is "I will need to make a call before I can confirm that."

But while you're working, you're not tempted to fiddle with your mobile phone.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I believe Walmart are not known for their employee friendly policies.
    I've heard that Walmart are considering selling ASDA.

As Ash said - Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Also, GlasweJen, I believe the OP mentioned that the ASDA provided satnavs and employee phones are integrated into a multifunction device and they don't always work.

If an employer-provided device fails and you have no backup, how do you report the fault back to them or continue your round so you can get back to base?

Or it's ok for ASDA to issue substandard equipment to their employees because they bought them on the cheap off the back of a lorry to save money?
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd actually find it a worry to work in any large organisation that didn't allow or discouraged a relevant trade union involvement.

A good employer uses the union to negotiate en masse and saves arguments & disputes at individual level.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    I've heard that Walmart are considering selling ASDA.

As Ash said - Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Also, GlasweJen, I believe the OP mentioned that the ASDA provided satnavs and employee phones are integrated into a multifunction device and they don't always work.

If an employer-provided device fails and you have no backup, how do you report the fault back to them or continue your round so you can get back to base?

Or it's ok for ASDA to issue substandard equipment to their employees because they bought them on the cheap off the back of a lorry to save money?

The item issued is a sat nav that is a phone and also scans the goods that enter and leave the lorry, how is your own phone going to do those functions? While it is on it also knows the route the lorry is on so the shop knows if the lorry is driving to its designated route and the driver isn't throwing the stuff off a bridge and sitting all shift in his house watching sky.

The correct procedure will be to return to the store to collect a new handset but that will make the run late so no doubt drivers will take it upon themselves to just use their own phone to complete the run using their own route (as their smart phone won't be calibrated to know how the shop wants the run completed, how could it).

That suits the shop for now but if something dodgy is happening like Dave is picking up items in the shop that shouldn't be on the van, pretending his handset is wrong, turning it off, going to his mate Jon's house, delivering the dodgy goods then completing his round using his own sat nav on his own phone then the store have to crack down so they can work out wether the dodgy driver is Dave, Steve, John or Susan. Unfortunate that Steve, John and Susan are caught up in the clamp down but those are the terms of the job that everyone signed up to do. Just like the people on the shop floor can't just turn up with their own price reducing gun to work.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    No one ever questioned me in a cage

An interview room would be more appropriate :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure