PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• turtlemonkey
    turtlemonkey Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I have no spends to share, quite the opposite - I have to share the fact that I haven't spent any money on groceries at all this week, which I think must be a first for me! I had 4 NSDs in a row, then spent 20p on a plate at a car boot sale yesterday (it matches a mug I have), and today I went out with a friend for our belated birthday meal (we both have birthdays in April). That money comes out of a separate budget though, and it only came to £15 including tips anyway (£18.20 if you include parking), so I'm very pleased with that! I still have enough food in my cupboards for next week, so I'm hoping I won't have to spend any money on groceries until the third week of May, provided I can keep my chocolate cravings in check. I'm ok for dog food and household products as well, so with a bit of luck, nothing will tempt me into the shops next week. Fingers crossed! :-D
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May 2018 at 4:23PM
    Options
    Just a small spend to report today and a technical NSD yesterday. We went to go collect the package yesterday from Delhaize and it wasn’t there because it hadn’t even shipped yet. I didn’t think to check until we were actually in the store. We decided to shop anyway: 2x tubs of blueberries (2 for 1), OH’s smoothies, expensive ice cream, and a bunch of random stuff. OH decided to pay for it because even in his words, “This is almost all my frivolous/luxury nonsense.” :rotfl: So yeah, NSD yesterday.

Today at the halal store we spent €1.30 on cilantro (30¢) and 3 packets of ramen for OH (€1.00). I scoped out the meat counter to see if they have ground lamb. They only have whole pieces so I'll buy a chunk later this month and finally use the meat grinder my OH bought me two Christmases ago. :rotfl: I have a craving to make keema curry based on caronc’s posts about her lamb curry on another thread. :)

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €69.18 / €400.00
    2 / 10 NSD
  • notasquirrel
    Options
    Hi, I realize we're already a way in to the month but would it be ok if I joined now? I'm new to MSE but really need to spend less money than I am, I live within my means but I really need to build up some savings. I'll count my month as the next 4 weeks (i.e. 7th May-3rd June) and budget £40. It feels harsh but it's only me and I have plenty of pasta and freezer food, plus I don't eat meat so it should be manageable. If I can stop wasting money on meal deals that is :o
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome, notasquirrel and good luck :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Would.you mind sharing your first two recipes please. I'm vegan and they sound perfect for a change. I've tofu out at the moment too.( I prefer it frozen, then defrosted). Thanks :o

Sorry for the late reply, just been away for a few days and catching up now :)

Cajun rice - I made this version but it could easily be adapted to be vegan http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-cajun-dirty-rice-slimming-world/

Sesame tofu - so simple and really tasty - mix 1 tbsp sesame oil and 3 tbsp soy sauce. Cut tofu into large slices, soak in mixture and then grill. Tastes amazing the next day too :D

X
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 7 May 2018 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Spent £8.13 today.

£1.24 of that was for 5kg of Desiree potatoes :j. Bargain.

Although not part of the grocery budget as alcohol, OH bought me vegan Bailey's. I've been wanting to try it for ages so am very happy OH found it.

£51.89/£155.
    £103.11 left.

Edit:
    Gah forgot my A&C delivery of £16.21, including delivery charge.
    Gluten free bread, 4 packs smoked tofu and 2 pouches sauerkraut.

£68.10/£155.
    £86.90 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CRANKY40 and Pipney Jane, I am doing the C25K as well. I try to run in the morning before breakfast but after a cup of tea. One day I went in the evening before dinner, but seemed to feel hungrier then. I am only on the second week so early days. Good luck.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not a great start!
    RatRations (hamster and rat food) £42.77 (will last months)
    Sainsbob £33.09
    Mr T £78.27
    Total £154.13
    :eek:

I think I'm doomed this month!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    £4.33 today in Morrisons on bread, reduced pick and mix rolls, quorn sausages, spices and lime juice, and 25p on reduced eggs at work. There was also a spend in work yesterday. My colleague didn't give me the receipt; and the transaction isn't showing yet, so cannot add it on. It'll maybe show up tomorrow, with it being BH today.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the nice weather this weekend. I missed the majority of it as i was in work and tomorrow in college.

Ho-hum!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    DD went to Aldi for a few bits, which came to £14.01, so £211.07/£300 left in the grocery budget for May :)[/QUOTE]
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure