PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Marg/butter for baking - quality or price?

Options

Comments

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi

I usually use the smart price butter to cook with for cakes and pies etc. I know its not as cheap as the marg in big tubs-but I hate the taste of the cheapie marg...sticks in the back of ur throat...gross :eek:

The smart price butter is 49pence a 1/2lb block and tastes like any other "named" good quality butter. Same for butter icing!!

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Trow wrote:
    Tescos value seems to be getting a big thumbs up - I only have a Co-op and a Somerfield to choose from :(

What's the betting all the cheap supermarket butter is the same stuff? I stopped using margarine when I started weaning my first child - looked at the list of ingredients and didn't want to feed it to my kids.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't seen value butter in either store - used to get it when the Somerfield was a Safeway, but it has only recently turned into a Somerfield so it might appear yet...
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just remembered I got a pack of Tesco Value butter in the fridge so just tasted it and to be honest it doesn't taste much different to Anchor or Lurpak :)

Pity they don't do a spreadable version though as I can't get on with block butter for sarnies :o
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Curry Queen
    i have got an old Shirley Goode book in which she suggests using a cake mixer to whip softened butter with a bit of milk to make spreadable butter. i haven't tried it myself but I think the ingredients on spreadable butter may include milk solids (not sure) but if so that would suggest they're doing essentially the same thing
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's certainly worth having a try with a block of cheapo value butter, although I wonder if semi-skimmed might not be suitable and cause it to separate. Had a bit of a disaster last time I tried to make crumbled cheshire cheese in milk and I don't know if it was the cheese or milk that caused it. Back in the days my mum and gran used to make it they'd have used full fat unpastuerised milk and it didn't separate nowhere near as much as mine did :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    To be honest i always buy the cheapest butter i can find unless its for something really special such as christmas as i find its really just as good. Silly really using more expensive stuff just for christmas when i dont think you can taste the difference unless its something that needs a really good quality butter for taste :confused: What i do once a year though is when i'm down in lovely wales i always buy farm produced butter at one of the local farmers markets or whatever they are and freeze quite a few packs, they are quite reasonable in price too and ever so good to eat :D
  • Sheahaven
    Sheahaven Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone's ideas about marg vs butter, changed?

Almost 20 years now I've not liked using/eating marg products (trans fats, taste, etc) since an early biochem lecture - found out what it does to your body.

It confirmed what I already thought of heavily processed/synthetic products. _pale_

And since then I've stuck to
    Butter and not marg,
    Full fat drinks instead of 'low cal'/'diet' stuff,
    Demerara sugar and not canderel stuff
    and the like.

So now I buy shop's own butter or branded ones when they are on really good offers, then pile them in the freezer.

I prefer the unsalted variety for it's many uses and now and again get a block of slightly salted.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't realise this was an old thread until I saw someone paid 49p for 1/2 lb of butter!!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last time I was in FarmFoods they had two 250 gramme packs of butter for £1.50: that's cheaper than Stork at my local supermarket. I bought quite a few.

Normally I use just cheapo marge if it's in a recipe where the difference won't be noticed. If it's for a plain cake like a madeira I'll use only butter if I can buy it cheap enough. Even cheap butter's not that cheap these days. I'd love to use Normandy unsalted butter for cooking and baking but it's totally out of reach for me these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure