Options
2»

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I don't have time to make all the necessary corrections to this, but please advise your union branch that they need to consult a full time official to correct this over simplified version before somebody makes a fatal mistake in the advice they give. There are a number of contextual errors and omissions.
    Looked like a good summary to me. What sort of "fatal" mistake were you thinking of? Have people died as a result of getting incorrect holiday pay?
  • CashlessCaruna
    Options
    I don't have time to make all the necessary corrections to this, but please advise your union branch that they need to consult a full time official to correct this over simplified version before somebody makes a fatal mistake in the advice they give. There are a number of contextual errors and omissions.

Hi. I am literally presenting a paper on over-time and holiday pay tomorrow morning at a TU/HR meeting so would really appreciate if you could explain the contextual errors and omissions. TIA.
    £2 Savers Club for 2019 #11. Target = £250 by July
  • CashlessCaruna
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Our union has always helped new joiners straight away even with existing issues. They won't legally represent new members for existing issues, but the reps are willing to help new members with existing issues straight away. They use this sort of thing as a recruiting tool (although I've argued that it can be counterproductive - people will leave joining till they have an issue).
    Fair enough. But training reps is expensive and time consuming, as is building a strong effective branch. The majority of members who pay their subs, come to meetings, get involved in the branch, will probably never need individual representation and give far more to the branch than they take. People who only join when they are in trouble and expect representation, support, advice, are in my experience a drain on branch resources, and aren't usually understanding of the principles of trade unionism, collective action, solidarity.
    Personally I judge each case on its own merits but i'm the sort of Trade Unionist who constantly promotes the union and always advises people to join, so when people come to me in trouble, wanting help, but I know that they're not in the union, or have crossed our picketlines, I'm glad that i have the 4 week rule to fall back on. I will always advise people, but when casework and representation takes so much time and effort, I will always prioritise those who I know would do the same for me.
    No offence to anyone but it is really important to be in an Trade Union. Nobody ever expects to end up in trouble at work or need Trade Union support but often bad things happen to good people and at times like that having a strong union branch behind you or a well-trained committed rep willing to support you, is priceless.
  • CashlessCaruna
    Options
    Too late. Unions won't support or represent people who join when they already have a problem. You would only have "cover" from the next issue. A rep might be kind and adhere to help you out, but they don't have to. Think of it like insurance - which company will take you on after the house burnt down? That's not a reason not to join - because if you put it off, you will never think about it again until the next time you need one! But just warning you that it probably won't help right now with this.
    Nice analogy. I'm going to use that in the future. Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport