Council Tax challenge help

Options
After asking the VOA to review my CT band I have received a letter from the Listing Officer who has carried out a review and concluded that my property is correctly banded.
I disagree and wish to challenge, but the next step of submitting a Proposal to alter the Valuation List appears not to be open to me because I don't satisfy any of the criteria.
There is one criterion which states 'The entry set out in the Listing Officer's Notice dated ... is inaccurate.' Could I submit under this criterion? Does the letter from the Listing Officer constitute a 'Notice'?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,647 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A LO Notice is a letter either informing you of the CT band (in the case of new dwellings) or that the band has changed (existing dwellings). The letter you received from the LO is not a Notice, so you cannot submit a valid Proposal.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • jammyjam
    jammyjam Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks lincroft

So there is no scope to make a Proposal as I have occupied the property for more than six months. I have contacted the Valuation Tribunal and I can't appeal without making a Proposal first ... Catch 22!!
    Therefore there would appear to be no scope to appeal the Listing Officer's decision which seems wrong to me.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,647 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may seem wrong, but it is correct in law. If you are out of time to make a valid proposal, you have no recourse to a Valuation Tribunal, who are the only body who could hear an appeal against a LO decision on banding.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure