DGS (Domestic & General) Horror Discovery

Options
Charmaine1809
Charmaine1809 Posts: 3 Newbie
I would appreciate some advice please. Doing an overhaul of my bank account and getting my finances in order, I have found a DD on my bank account to Domestic General which started in September 2011 for just over £19 per month. In my defence (tenuous, I agree) I also have a Dentist & General Day 1 Income Protection policy which is roughly the same amount. They went through a few changes a while back, and my index-linked policy which was with Friends Provident, underwent some tweaks and changes due to company name changes etc. The point is that I very stupidly thought that 'DGS' and 'Dentist & General' were somehow linked and again, stupidly, didn't give it another thought. Having now trawled through my bank statements, the reality of what has happened is dawning. It never occurred to me that it was Domestic and General because I don't take out warranties. Ever.

I have gone onto the DGS website and 'manage my account' and the policy reference number I have doesn't exist.

Over the years, the payments have risen to £23.75. I have never claimed anything and, again, would never have knowingly taken out this cover.

I've called the number shown on their website but I'm currently abroad and the waiting times are long. I don't want to rack up additional unnecessary call costs on top of this. The website link for DGS policy and DD charge queries returns a 'page not found'.

My stupidity and oversight aside, I would appreciate some guidance on how to try and recoup this money (I will add it all up when the nausea subsides)

And please don't feel you need to point out what an idiot I've been. I'll be doing plenty of that myself :)

Many thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would appreciate some guidance on how to try and recoup this money (I will add it all up when the nausea subsides)

You dont get a refund unless there has been a wrongdoing. Their policies are sold by multiple places. So, you would address any complaint to the seller of the policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Charmaine1809
    Options
    Since publishing my post, I have written to Domestic & General and explained the situation. I found another post which was helpful and reminded me to remind DG that any increases in DDs need to be communicated and that if I used my bank details to pay for an appliance, that they couldn't simply use these to extend a warranty that I would never have agreed to. I tend to buy appliances from companies like Appliances Direct because their prices are competitive and they often offer 12 months interest free purchases.

I am also going to ask my bank for a copy of the DD form which should have been authorised by me

I will wait to see what they come back with but any suggestions or guidance in the meantime would still be appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    will wait to see what they come back with but any suggestions or guidance in the meantime would still be appreciated.
    You dont get a refund unless there has been a wrongdoing.I'm not sure why you think you should get such a refund?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am also going to ask my bank for a copy of the DD form which should have been authorised by me

Signatures have not been required on mandates for over 2 decades
    reminded me to remind DG that any increases in DDs need to be communicated and that if I used my bank details to pay for an appliance,
    Correct. So, either you havent been looking at your post or they are going to a different address. Have you moved house in that time? Failure to keep them informed of a change of address does not mean you get a refund (FOS decision on that basis was published)

Note. Playing devils advocate here to think of holes so you can combat them in advance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jet-77
    Jet-77 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found out today that I have been paying £16 a month for a fridge freezer repair scheme for an indesit fridge. I have asked Domestic and General for the details of the policy, and who's name it is in. I certainly have never had a policy in my name, nor have I received any correspondence from them. Very concerning.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So you've paid a Direct Debit for nine years which you know nothing about? I think you need to be checking your bank statements far more thoroughly.

If you no longer need this insurance, you should cancel the Direct Debit.
  • Jet-77
    Options
    Don't know how long i've been paying it for, but I thought it was for something else, but when I cancelled that, this payment was still going out. I had to Google it to find out what it was. I've contacted Domestic and General and told them to stop the policy as I won't be paying for it. And they confirmed the policy is not in my name but a man's name. I'm happy I won't losing anymore money but not happy about the amount I've already lost.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jet-77 wrote: »
    Don't know how long i've been paying it for
    Your other thread about this was more forthcoming:
    I've discovered I'm paying a direct debit to Domestic and General on a monthly basis. I've no idea why apart from about 9 yrs ago we had a faulty fridge
    That would seem to tally with subsequently taking out a fridge freezer repair insurance scheme
    I thought it was for something else, but when I cancelled that, this payment was still going out. I had to Google it to find out what it was. I've contacted Domestic and General and told them to stop the policy as I won't be paying for it. And they confirmed the policy is not in my name
    How can you have been paying someone else's policy?

Is the other person known to you?

You need to get to the bottom of this, as well as thoroughly checking your Bank Statements each month.
  • Jet-77
    Options
    Don't know how, they haven't given me the name of the policy holder, just that it's a man. Said they've passed it to another team to look into. I've contacted my bank to stop the payments and they are looking into it. After a quick and rough calculation I'v lost over £1,000 without noticing so yes, point taken I will be checking my bank account more thoroughly in future and if I don't know what it is I will never presume it's something that know i know i pay for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure