What’s the rules on letting someone go

Options
We are a small office with 3 admin staff. A new lady started first week of December and had 1 day off ill during December. We’ve returned in the 2nd and she doesn’t seem to be enjoying the job and keeps bursting in to tears. She’s now been signed off with anxiety for at least 2 weeks. Unfortunately the other of the 3 is a new starter also so it’s hard for anyone to cover her as she is learning too. What are the rules on letting someone go if they’ve gone off on stress after 6 weeks? And what about her pay?

Ps she says she thinks she felt this way before she started and on another note I am not diluting her anxiety problem, just wondering how we can cope as a small firm.
Regards
[B[/B]

Comments

• General_Grant
    Options
    Have you given her written particulars of her employment with you yet? As she has now been with you for a month, unless any written information you gave her has a longer period, she is entitled to one week's notice.

Did she disclose her anxiety to the company before she took time off because of it?
  • wendb69
    wendb69 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you given her written particulars of her employment with you yet? As she has now been with you for a month, unless any written information you gave her has a longer period, she is entitled to one week's notice.

Did she disclose her anxiety to the company before she took time off because of it?

Her contract says we only pay stat sick pay. She’s on a weeks notice with 3 month prob. But my question is how do we tackle the issue - do we wait the 2 week period and see how it goes or do we say it’s not quite working out. She’s been with us for like 6 weeks, but how do we deal with the fact she’s ill this early on. We don’t know the rules. She said in her interview her old job made her feel very anxious because “of all the changes” that’s why she wanted a different post.
    Regards
    [B[/B]
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wendb69 wrote: »
    Her contract says we only pay stat sick pay. She’s on a weeks notice with 3 month prob. But my question is how do we tackle the issue - do we wait the 2 week period and see how it goes or do we say it’s not quite working out. She’s been with us for like 6 weeks, but how do we deal with the fact she’s ill this early on. We don’t know the rules. She said in her interview her old job made her feel very anxious because “of all the changes” that’s why she wanted a different post.

Very simple, you give her a week's notice (or pay in lieu) plus pay her for any accrued but untaken holiday (roughly 1 day for every two weeks work). You do not have to give a reason. She cannot claim unfair dismissal with less than two years service unless she could claim unlawful discrimination (e.g race, gender, religion etc) which seems unlikely.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    Options

Even if she did it is very unlikely to meet the threshold of being a disability.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find it quite worrying that an employer doesn't know basic employment law.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »

Many small business owners only learn about employment law when they need to. If a situation hasn't arisen before I think it is reasonable for the business owner to have to seek help.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:10PM
    Options
    But my question is how do we tackle the issue - do we wait the 2 week period and see how it goes or do we say it’s not quite working out.

It's up to you really. But personally, I'd be giving notice and payment in lieu. Tell her in person, just outline that you are giving her notice because the amount of sick leave so far is unsustainable for the business. Then good practice is to follow up in writing (letter or email both fine) to restate what was said.
    She said in her interview her old job made her feel very anxious because “of all the changes” that’s why she wanted a different post.

You should also probably learn from this in your recruitment :-) . Honestly if anyone ever says in an interview that their last job was stressful, difficult, demanding etc I just cut the interview off sharpish!

You are worried that one small employer in the UK does not know HR law inside out? Well, you have a serious amount of worrying to do then, because the majority of small employers (and some large ones actually) probably don't even think to ask.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »

Worry away - there are masses of small employers out there in the same boat.

OP, give ACAS's helpline a call/see their website if you need some basic guidance. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You may want to consider hiring a HR consultant on an as needed basis.
    Might help generally and not cost a lot.

For this case I would just issue notice in writing.

From what you have said it is likely this should be on full pay.
    Many don't know about the rule and if off sick you might get away with SSP.

Work out the holiday pay and put that into the calculation, NOTE if they have had more paid holiday than accrued you need a clause in the contract to recover that from the final pay.

Hone your recruitment skills.

Also a bit concerning you have 2/3rds of the people in this role as new starters.
    how has that come about what steps are you taking to manage it going forward, holiday and sick are high risk if you need more than 1 at any time.

Small office and 3 admin, how much admin can there be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure