Can't decide if its worthwhile changing jobs or not?

Options
After some opinions here on what exactly would be the best thing to do.

Currently, I am in a job I like which in fairness is probably the only job I've ever enjoyed, the work is OK but it's my co-workers and the company itself that make it worthwhile.

The only fly in the ointment is they are dire payers, paying close to minimum wage when the going rate should be £8-£9 per hour for this line of work. It's, for this reason, I have been looking at other jobs and indeed have an interview next week.

Now I really can't decide if jumping ship would be the best course of action, as I said I like this job and its only money that's the sticking point, but then even if I did get another job and did get more money I am not going to be any better off and I will explain why.

Take Christmas, my boss gave me a £50 bonus in my wages. Last month I get a call from Housing Benefit, "Yes we are just phoning to enquire about your wages in December" I explained all, few days later in comes a letter about overpayment, yes I owe them £40+ all because of this £50 bonus.

So you see my predicament, I am caught in a sort of benefits trap also, I am not going to get a big enough rise in income to clear claiming for Housing Benefit and Tax Credits and so any extra I would get is just gonna come straight off leaving me no better off, is that really worth changing jobs for and then there is the issue that this new company could be horrible to work for.

Any help appreciated?

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd stay where you are. If you like the company and the other job wouldn't leave you with more pay because of the benefit situation, you are not gaining anything. Liking where you work is important. I'd stay but look for a way to increase my pay. Is there a route to progression in the type of work you do? Find out what you need to do to progress. Do a course / get a qualification / take on new responsibilities etc then apply for a higher paid job elsewhere. One that gets you out the benefit cycle.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd stay where you are. If you like the company and the other job wouldn't leave you with more pay because of the benefit situation, you are not gaining anything. Liking where you work is important. I'd stay but look for a way to increase my pay. Is there a route to progression in the type of work you do? Find out what you need to do to progress. Do a course / get a qualification / take on new responsibilities etc then apply for a higher paid job elsewhere. One that gets you out the benefit cycle.

Ha ha I'm already at the top. I am a cabinet maker with my time served and NVQ'S etc in tow. It's sort of a devalued occupation these days.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    If you are close to minimum wage I would definitely be looking for a new job simply because that is not going to support you into the future, you need savings, decent pension etc, which require a higher salary. I doubt you would not be better off with a higher salary.
  • n1guy
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    If you are close to minimum wage I would definitely be looking for a new job simply because that is not going to support you into the future, you need savings, decent pension etc, which require a higher salary. I doubt you would not be better off with a higher salary.

I don't think I will be better off until I break free from benefits such as housing benefit and child tax credits. Any extra is just taken from them it seems. Stupid system if you ask me, yes I see they are needed as wages are low but it effectively traps folk.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    Take Christmas, my boss gave me a £50 bonus in my wages. Last month I get a call from Housing Benefit, "Yes we are just phoning to enquire about your wages in December" I explained all, few days later in comes a letter about overpayment, yes I owe them £40+ all because of this £50 bonus.

Out of interest, when you say you "explained all", was that BEFORE or AFTER they told you what exactly it was they were enquiring about? And why December?
  • n1guy
    Options
    jbond wrote: »
    Out of interest, when you say you "explained all", was that BEFORE or AFTER they told you what exactly it was they were enquiring about? And why December?

That was after. December because I got a bonus that put me over
  • richdeniro
    richdeniro Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New job mate, you sound quite ambitious and probably deserve a higher salary - something your current employer is unlikely to do.

Onwards and upwards.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Each to their own.

At the end of the day if you're taking home £1000 per month (example only) where you are but if you get a new job paying more which when all the benefits situation is sorted still only leaves you with £1000 then, especially as you like where you're at, why change to be no further forward?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure