High Income Child Benefit Charge

Options

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    I'm sure that all those benefiting from your largesse are very grateful!:)
    You would think so, but it is not the case. The common view seems to be that those already paying the most in taxes should have to pay even more, so that the people who pay little or none can pay less or even be net recipients.
  • Whytewumper
    Options
    I've been caught out to. Moved into home with partner after my divorce and she continued claiming the child benefit and I was unaware (being dumb) and now got 3 plus years of arrears at 100% to pay back as I am the high earner. We got a £260 fine as well.

What I'd really like to work out is whether it is worthwhile continuing to claim the child benefit for us as a family?
    Is it better to just stop the payments or to continue receiving them and just repay through the tax assessment?
    Apart from the time delay of restarting getting child benefit if I were to die suddenly what other pros are there to keep going with it if we have to pay it all back?
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get your partner to opt out of receiving the child benefit officially - she will still receive NI credits. Then you can concentrate on paying off your debt without racking up more with HMRC. The only pro in continuing to receive it is temporarily having a bit more money (in your partner's account)!
  • Salmotrutta
    Options
    I've just been stung with this as well, like all the others I was PAYE and wasn't "earning" £50k when this started so never gave it another thought, like all others I assumed once I crossed the £50k threshold it would be picked up through PAYE or I would get a Self Assessment from the Taxman. How wrong I was, well partially right, I have had a Self Assessment for the last tax year along with a bill of £3300 and to add insult to injury I'm getting fined for not submitting Self Assessments that they never asked me to complete.
    However this has been the biggest con / spin to date by the government and I daresay its going to catch tens of thousands of people out, who incorrectly thought they were not "earning" £50k so therefore they were exempt from the charge. What was never made clear in all the advertisements was that "earnings" includes all benefits in kind. So if your salary was say £47k and you thought you were exempt, if you had a company car with a BIK value above £3k then you will fall foul of this bad legislation, add private medical if you had it, and despite saving the NHS money, you will be liable for even more. If you earned say £55k and had a decent company car that was 4 wheel drive then like me you are going to get hit for 100% payback, plus the fines.
    Well congratulations Mr Taxman, you have got me this time, despite me paying everything I thought I was due for all my working life, when I rang them I was made to feel like a criminal, now I'm going to ensure I do everything I legally can to avoid paying tax, whilst also revisiting previous tax years to see what I can claim back.
    Its just a pity the taxman doesn't have the bottle to spend the same time and effort closing the loopholes for the global companies deliberately avoiding tax.
  • Stonedhouse
    Stonedhouse Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I too have now received a letter from HMRC and interestingly enough it starts with "A lot of our customers have told us that they do not know about the high income child benefit charge............."

So according to some in this thread there are a lot of inept people......hmmmmmm. I usually use the analogy that if a lot of students in a class fail the exams don't immediately judge the students, maybe question the lecturer's technique or the college !

It looks like I dipped over the 50K mark twice in the last couple of years. I consider myself fairly astute in most matters like this but it has caught me out too. Ironically enough I have spent the last year trying to get registered for self assessment for my own purposes in order to address some tax relief (I've always been on PAYE but a specific issue has cropped up) and by the HMRC's own admission "their system" has been the issue as I used to self assess many many years ago and it can't cope very well with trying to reinstate someone. We have eventually got to the stage I can now self assess but now I get this darn letter.

Even then the letter is confusing - it states "You have to pay the charge if: .... your income is higher than your spouse or partners income". What a ridiculous statement ! What if my spouse earns £10k and I earn £11k - according to this I now need to pay the charge. I can only imagine this so called high profile campaign many years ago was just as poorly worded or thought out.

Anyhow - off I go to do battle with HMRC. I only just dipped over the £50k in 2017 and 2018 and part of that was to do with getting back pay in one year for the previous year when I changed jobs just before the tax year end so it was all quite complicated and when you are under PAYE there are lots of circumstances you are at the mercy of and not always in control of the timing. I only hope HRMC have some grasp of life in the real world.
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My gross salary is about £54k but I bring it down to about £49k after pension contributions on a salary sacrifice and also some charity contributions.

Presumably I don’t need to do a SA?
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    Options
    inapina wrote: »
    My base salary was below the 50k threshold, but I worked a load of overtime (busy period!), and earned about another 8k gross, which put me into the >50k bracket in 2014-15. The whole child allowance thing never entered my head, and, like others have said, nothing has ever come from HMRC to prompt me into thinking about being in a higher bracket, even though they must know. What really annoys me is that, as a 40% taxpayer, the Govt got a full 40% of the extra 8K, so an extra 3.2k that they would not have had ordinarily, from MY hard work, and now they want a further 1.5k in backdated child benefits repaid, plus a fine, on top of all this. It's no wonder people are angry. Earning over 50k isn't even enough to get a mortgage on a cheap house where I live and my wife earns next to nothing, so I support us both. I also adopted my 2 children, saving the Govt the cost of raising them in care for 16 years, which would have cost them a couple of million all told. I'm just so angry at the greed and ignorance of HMRC, and the lack of joined-up thinking in implementing the tax system. Why not reduce or stop paying the Child Support at the time? And as the CB goes to my wife, I can't even talk to them about it, even though we're still married and they;re coming after ME for the money! Angry about all this!!

An old post, I know, but I do feel for these guys in this situation. Working overtime to earn some more money and a chunk gets taken off your child benefits for it. Whereas if you didn't do the overtime, you'd be fine. I'm not saying they should 'get away with it', but that system is just messed up. £50k for a family of 4 is far from end of the rainbow stuff too.
  • Gabbs_the_Newt
    Options
    loofer wrote: »
    My gross salary is about £54k but I bring it down to about £49k after pension contributions on a salary sacrifice and also some charity contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge

Correct - the CB charge is based on adjusted net income, so provided your sums are correct you don't need to submit SA (unless asked to of course!)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't actually file self assessment then actually do it for yourself. It could save a slip up down the line & them coming back with a fine/penalty.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loofer wrote: »

I'm not sure that post #139 is 100% correct. I cannot find anything specific about this now, but remember reading that, although there is ultimately no claw back of the Child Benefit in this scenario, a Self-Assessment return should still be filed, as the earnings are over £50K. I am in the same position as you and file an SA return every year.
    An old post, I know, but I do feel for these guys in this situation. Working overtime to earn some more money and a chunk gets taken off your child benefits for it. Whereas if you didn't do the overtime, you'd be fine.

Given the number of people who don't even get paid for overtime (i.e. most white-collar workers in the private sector), I would imagine sympathy for someone in this position would be in short supply!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure