Story box ideas

Options
Money is tight this year, so planning ahead, I'm going to make some story boxes for my granddaughter. I'm considering traditional tales, but also bearing in mind that she is a big fan of Disney princesses.

So, I'm thinking along the lines of the following:

Printed dress up dolls (the type with the fold over tags) - laminated. Maybe a couple of strips of velcro on the front of the undressed doll and the back of the dresses?

Props - for the Three Little Pigs, laminated outlines of houses, plus some shredded paper (straw), lollypop sticks, and building bricks. Plus a wolf and three pigs (possibly plastic toys, or maybe painted wooden spoons). For Snow White, finger puppets of the seven dwarves, a Snow White doll (or she could use the one that she has), a small safety mirror, an apple (not sure where to get a small plastic one from), etc.

Extras - such as laminated mazes, spot the difference, colouring pages, etc.

I've already printed the dress up dolls for Cinderella and The Little Mermaid. She has the Disney Princess dolls.

So, I'm hoping for some more ideas of what to include please. Ideas for props and where to buy them would be welcome - or ideas of how to make them.

I can sew, and have plenty of craft stuff. I'm happy to get stuck in and make the boxes as interesting as I can. My granddaughter loves dolls and figurines, and houses/shops/other playsets.

She will be four a couple of days before Christmas, and is very keen on her books. My daughter spends a lot of time playing and making things with her, and she has a good imagination for her age.

All suggestions and ideas gratefully received :)

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    When my children were at playgroup they brought book bags home . First I heard of them and we loved them, they make the book come alive.
    Many years back but I do remember getting Rainbow Fish, Percy The park keeper and any Julia Donaldson book.
    Any book with a stand out character which ,as you're crafty, can make . Not sure of the books that four year olds are keen on but you can't go wrong with a classic, Tiger who came to tea, Gruffalo, Peach Pear Plum,.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    That's the type of thing I'm doing Sue, only the props will be in a box instead of a bag. My granddaughter has a copy of Owl Babies, so I'm going to make pompom owls, and then I'll re-read the book to remind me of the story!

The actual titles aren't a problem, as I'm mainly looking at fairy tales. It's more the ideas of props to put into the boxes.
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    I worked in Reception class and year 1.Traditional tales are well used in KS1 curriculum. We had "story sacks". Many of the props came from carboot sales and charity shops for 10p or so.With Jack and the bean stalk for instance I included some sunflower seeds to plant and a tape measure.The Three Bears had real bowls and spoons in various sizes and oats to make the porridge.The 3 little pigs we made the houses by junk modelling with old boxes and sticks and dried grass from the garden.Retelling the story with the props and acting out the story is very beneficial.The Ginger Bread Man,make the gingerbread.Print out the recipe,helps understand instructions even if you have to read them.Google KS1 Traditional Tales for ideas of what are used in schools.I found there was so much learning from the props and especially the related activities.

This is a lovely thing for you to do with your Grandaughter,you will both have hours of fun and she will have the advantage when she goes to school. Just ask if you would like to know anything else.

Vx
     :
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks Vulpix, some good ideas there. That's exactly the sort of idea I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure