PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As the weather has deffo turned so cold decided it was time to visit farm shop for potatoes and onions. Potatoes are only £5.00 a sack 25kgs so 20p a kg and onions 25p kg. Thats quite a big saving on supermarket prices. I store the in an outside meter cupboard and they last for months.
    I used to stock up on parsnips and carrot too but parsnips are so expensive now and carrots dont keep.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am half way through eating sweet chilli beef meatballs with long grain rice. Last time I bought rice I thought I'd try long grain again as I'd not had it for some years....but I do miss basmati so once this pack's finished it's back to basmati for me!

100g of rice/portion means I have to eat rice 10x to get through the bag though, I think I'm 3 portions into it so far.

Meatballs are gorgeous though. As I often say here .... why don't I eat this more often??
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Up early, porridge for breakfast, then with a bit of time spare I made the dough bit for short breads using Caronc recipe. That is now in the fridge chilling out

Had a stab at the shortbread, the dough would not roll, just crumbling, so made shortblobs instead :o

They taste just fine, in fact excellent, but a bake off fail. I think that, like my porridge, it will be trial and effort, plus a few hundred zillion calories

Plenty of time to muse and chomp some shortblobs with a cuppa :D
    Not a fail if they taste good - the dough was probably chilled for a bit too long hence the crumbling. It can help to roll it out between 2 bits of clingfilm or greaseproof if it is determined to crumble:)
    meg72 wrote: »
    As the weather has deffo turned so cold decided it was time to visit farm shop for potatoes and onions. Potatoes are only £5.00 a sack 25kgs so 20p a kg and onions 25p kg. Thats quite a big saving on supermarket prices. I store the in an outside meter cupboard and they last for months.
    I used to stock up on parsnips and carrot too but parsnips are so expensive now and carrots dont keep.
    That's a fab price Meg :)

I'm late on parade as the weather has been lovely so I spent most of the day gardening/recovering from gardening/gardening ....... All bar 2 of the hanging baskets have been composted as they were on their last legs and some more with violas planted up. Got a couple of wee courgettes but the plants have had it so they've been composted too. Picked a load of brambles. beans and toms and what is probably the last cucumber. My back is twingeing like billyo so reckon I'll be stiff tomorrow, oh how I wish I could get in the bath!

Breakfast was the usual toast and fruit, lunch a ham salad roll and dinner will be lamb chops, runner beans and thinly sliced potatoes/onions baked in a mix of stock and creme fraiche:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Not a fail if they taste good - the dough was probably chilled for a bit too long hence the crumbling. It can help to roll it out between 2 bits of clingfilm or greaseproof if it is determined to crumble:)

I thought that may have been the problem, I made the dough, then went out YS mooching so it was well over 2 hours in fridge, thanks, never too old to learn from experts :T

Dinner was going to be the frozen fish, except it was a disaster. The fillets had been in the freezer soooo looong they were one solid inseperable block of iced fish, all I could do was wrap in tin foil and bung in the oven for ages to cook

In the meantime I thought of chips, as a CFO mind often does, popped them on whilst waiting for the fish. Needless to say, chips ready, fish still half frozen. Bummer

Dinner turned out to be a chip butty, very nice it was, plus a crumpet, good job it is just me here

The fish eventually thawed & cooked, now in the fridge and I think some kind of fish cake things are looming tomorrow

Not the best of CFO days in the kitchen, but hey ho, no one died and the world is still turning
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    I thought that may have been the problem, I made the dough, then went out YS mooching so it was well over 2 hours in fridge, thanks, never too old to learn from experts :T

Dinner was going to be the frozen fish, except it was a disaster. The fillets had been in the freezer soooo looong they were one solid inseperable block of iced fish, all I could do was wrap in tin foil and bung in the oven for ages to cook

In the meantime I thought of chips, as a CFO mind often does, popped them on whilst waiting for the fish. Needless to say, chips ready, fish still half frozen. Bummer

Dinner turned out to be a chip butty, very nice it was, plus a crumpet, good job it is just me here

The fish eventually thawed & cooked, now in the fridge and I think some kind of fish cake things are looming tomorrow

Not the best of CFO days in the kitchen, but hey ho, no one died and the world is still turning
    I think we all have days like that :(

If you find it easier gently roll the shortbread into balls, flatten with your hand until they are they are flattish, stab the tops with a fork a few times then chill and then bake;). At the end of the day it's the taste that matters especially if you are CFO :cool:.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I didnt do the frozen fish after all for dinner - as changed mind to another experiment for me. That being aubergine " bacon" - rather thinly-sliced aubergine smothered with a sorta sauce of things like cider vinegar/maple syrup/oil (whoops!)/smoked paprika/soya sauce and baked in the oven. Didnt add the liquid smoke mentioned in a lot of the recipes - problematic to get it and I've read about it (didnt like what I read - tho' I cant remember what it was...).

So "bits and pieces" - a bit of sprouted wheat bread, then my aubergine "bacon", then some T*sco what-they-call-sourdough-bread:cool:. Errrm...not that healthy then being so "picky". Still I guessed another experiment has been tried - and duly decided I like aubergine "bacon".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I grow the parsnips Meg and dig them out early because they are already big, some were 24 inches long. I don`t eat potatoes

Back to none exciting puddings tomorrow but I believe that I will be defrosting a pizza base and some mozarella, pizza it is, with salad bits. Later maybe fish with parsnips and peas, got to concentrate on freezer food, upside is that I am spending nothing
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all

Sunny day here

Breakfast was toast & ginger marmalade, that uses up the last jar of that brand, it was OK but shan't be rushing to buy it again [W/rose BTW]

The forecast fish cake something ot other to use up yesterday's fishy disaster has morphed into a fish pie thingy, had a search on line and found one using sliced spuds for topping instead of mash. That will do me just fine because I have "spare" boiled spuds LO form the other day.

The sauce will be another first attempt, unless I spot a cheat packet in Morries this morning, but happy to have a bash at sauce, what could possibly go wrong? ;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

After yesterday's lovely weather it's back to wet, cold and windy today. I'm not CFO tonight as my Dad, Sister & Nephew are coming round and we are going to treat ourselves to a takeaway. Breakfast was the usual toast & fruit and lunch will be the wee drop of LO spuds from last night with bacon and egg.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The sauce will be another first attempt, unless I spot a cheat packet in Morries this morning, but happy to have a bash at sauce, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Nuke it, I've been doing it for years. Turns out perfectly every time.

For a whole pie .... quantities would have to be bigger than I usually make, so I'd give it: tablespoon of butter/marg into a big mug, melt that. Toss in about the same amount (by eye) of flour and use a fork to wiggle it all about to make it smooth. Splash in milk and wiggle it round with a fork until smooth. Nuke a bit (30-40 secs) ... then it's a question of continuing to add milk, wiggling it so it's still smooth and nuking it (which thickens it). Until it's done. 2-3 mins tops.

I just do it by eye when I make it ... adding more flour, or milk, or nuking it, depending on what I'm looking at and if it needs more liquid, more solid, more 'cooking off' (because you do have to get the flour taste 'cooked off' as they call it).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure