The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• armchairexpert
    Options
    Had one of those lovely weekends where it was cold but sunny, so we spent most of the weekend in the garden. I even got a couple of loads of laundry pegged out and dried, although I've had to give in this morning and take the remaining load in and stick it in the tumble dryer because it didn't dry before the rains came in.

Then I treated myself to a bath after a great run, and because I didn't have any bath foam or salts or anything, I chucked in a few drops of lavender oil and some bicarb of soda and it was blissful. Who needs money.

Have decided I need to get a bit more serious about getting fit, instead of just going for a run once a week or so, so have downloaded a training app that is apparently going to design workouts for me. I did this last night and it wanted me to start off with jumping jacks, but since I'd had my bath and my bra was off for the night, that wasn't going to happen!

June goals:

1. Spend no more than $10/week on frivolities (coffees, mainly)
    2. 3 x workouts plus one long run a week
    3. Catch up on business admin and start putting tax return together
    4. 3 x Passion Project sprints per week
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • emmie26
    emmie26 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: you definitely need an over the shoulder boulder holder for jumping jacks :j:j
    I have started running with a friend which is fab. We used to work together but she changed job so we make a point of trying to run 3 times a week which gives us chance to catch up on gossip.

Total Debt: [STRIKE]£24,359.79[/STRIKE] £16,452
    debt reduced by 32%
    Debt free date: May 2019
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    That sounds like a lovely arrangement, but I can't talk and run at the same time!

Sun is shining again today and I intended to go for a run, in fact, but Little Girl had forgotten her library books for school so I used up my free morning time delivering them to her. Drove all the way back to school imagining how stressed and worried she'd be about the prospect of missing out on library day, and fond her cuddling a guinea pig and feeding it a carrot. School seems like a more fun place to be than in my day.

Nothing much else to report. Am still trying to persuade Mr Expert to change over our mobile phone plan, it's costing us a fortune and it's the only bill that's not in my/joint names so I can't do it. He hates talking on the phone though so he keeps putting it off.

Had lots of leftover roast pork yesterday so I made a gorgeous Cuban pork thing with smoked paprika and black beans and capsicum with rice and sour cream and coriander. Tuna and potato patties with salad and lemon dressing tonight.

Am struggling to find time to do all the things I want to do, though. I wanted to do some lunch box baking last night but by the time I'd finished off some paid work, helped Mr Expert write a speech, done the evening rounds of various animals, done the daily instalment on the passion project and folded a couple of loads of laundry it was bedtime. Meanwhile, Little Girl's library bag sits there waiting for me to get out the sewing machine and decorate it, I haven't touched the hat I cast on two months ago and it wasn't even an exercise day. I read diaries and get motivated to be tidier, more organised, more frugal - but then I come up against the immovable fact that there are, in fact, only 24 hours in a day.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are so busy! I've looked back on your thread and can't find what the passion project is so I will keep reading till it's done! :D

I do sympathise about the 'only 24 hours'... all we can do is try to plan smart, ditch the things that don't matter and seize the opportunities when we get them... hope you get some of them done soon.

Do you mind me asking about the pork recipe? I've googled and googled and not found the combination of ingredients you mentioned but it sounds delicious.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Hi, of course! So I was using up left over roast pork but you could do it with raw cubed pork, you'd just put it in earlier. If you google Cuban Pork you'll get a bunch but here's what I did:

Saute an onion and a capsicum or two (I did one large red, one small green) and when soft add about a TBS cumin, a TBS smoked paprika, a tsp oregano, cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add a can of black beans, a tin of tomatoes, a tablespoon of chicken stock powder, a couple of squirts of lime juice (maybe 2TBS?), about 1/4 cup orange juice, and the aforementioned pork. If you're doing raw pork, brown it as a first step then add everything else. Simmer until pork is tender, serve over white rice with a dollop of sour cream. It was actually amazing and I will make it again very soon.

Passion project is a novel, and my day job involves a lot of writing as well so it's sometimes hard to make myself do an hour in the evenings, but I'm pressing on.

Am taking the girls to Matilda the Musical tomorrow. Bought the tickets last year and went for the matinee because it was cheaper and I could splurge on good seats. Have made them up little bags of sweets and bought some juices. I'm excited! I do try and take them to one Proper Show a year (last year was a children's ballet) but this is by far the biggest-name thing I've ever been to, largely because a lot of the big shows don't make it to my small city.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thank you - that does look delicious and if the rain lets up long enough for me to get to the shops, I may just experiment. :)

Passion Project must take quite some discipline on top of writing for work and updating here. I hope you can get well into the swing of it ('Oops, is that the time, I have to be up for work in a few hours!' sort of swing-of-it).

Lucky girls, going to Matilda! I love musicals (wild generalisation :D): they do tend to stay with you long after the curtain falls. If you get the chance to see The Lion King, I'd highly recommend that too.

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Hello ACE. Back from my holiday to find you have suddenly found the exercise bug. Running, jumping jacks etc are far too energetic for me. Swimming is as far as I go.

Not really shocked to hear about Mr ACE not understanding the mortgage, but I guess he doesn't need to as you have full understanding and more importantly, he is supportive of what you are doing. And good luck with finding things to sell on ebay. I would say that most people on this site probably only have a cooker, bed and sofa in their homes because they have sold everything else off to the highest bidder!

I never struggle with not enough hours in the day. I am essentially a very lazy person and can sit for hours doing absolutely nothing. I would achieve more if I applied myself to something, but I never do. I once tried writing a book and got to the end of Chapter 3 and stopped. Fundamentally because I had no plot. I salute you on your skill and perseverance with it.

Enjoy Matilda!

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe! I braved the rain, bought the ingredients and cooked... we think it's delicious and will certainly be making it again.

A Cuban recipe coming to the UK via Australia. Ain't science wonderful?! :)

• armchairexpert
    Options
    I'm so pleased, Cherry! I would never have thought of it myself, in fact, but I won some gourmet cooking sauces in a raffle last year and one of them was a Cuban pork one so we ate it and then recreated it.

Thanks Tallulah - I think of myself as pretty lazy as well, in fact, and I have to admit I've only managed one exercise session. I do give Mr E credit for being on board generally. He still spends evenings browsing online shops, and generally has more expensive taste than I do (he lost his winter gloves the other day and nothing but a new pair of nice suede ones would do) but on the other hand he'll spend a day in the kitchen making quince jam from our own fruit tree and he's come up with plans for building some huge planter boxes in the back of the garden out of old fencing and sticks. So I'll keep him, I think.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Practical people are wonderful aren't they? So worth a pair of new suede gloves, because you will reap the rewards for years to come. Large wood planter this year, next year, your own ocean going yacht! Although you may have to work on that one; but plant those seeds in his head now...

And one exercise session is better than no exercise session! Small steps and all that. After all, if you go in full blast, you could do yourself an injury. Best work up to all that high energy expenditure. Get the body used to the idea of exercise. Con it into thinking that exercise is normal and when you do intensify, it won't notice!!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport