Has anyone changed their surname in Scotland?

Hi, I've been seperated for 2.5 years and can't afford to get divorced right now but want to change my name back to my maiden name. Has anyone got experience of doing this any could offer any advice please?
Thanks
Fiona
Debt Free Wannabee No - 1251

Comments

• slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can use any name you like in Scotland, as long as it's not with intent to commit fraud.

However when I changed mine banks and suchlike wanted to see a marriage certificate or other paperwork such as a passport. If you can get it changed on one document (passport or driving licence?) then the rest will probably follow but I don't know how easy that will be.
  • Yes. Pretty straightforward and took about 2 weeks. I filled in a form, ordered two copies of my new birthday certificate and that was it. I’d you do a search on the Registers, I now appear under both surnames.

The only issue I had at all was with the DVLA who didn’t seem too familiar with the Scottish name change process and kept sending back the new birth certificate refusing to acknowledge it twice saying they needed a real certificate and not a print out. That it was signed in black ink by the Registrar didn’t make much of a difference to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure