Rose's mortgage-free journey!!!

Hi
I have been lurking for a while and have decided to do my very own diary. The reason being we have bought a bigger house therefore a much bigger mortgage.
I am quite frightened really as we are used to having a tiny mortgage. My plan is to do ebay and sell all my clutter (not that we have much as me and DH are not big spenders). Need some other ideas too please folks.
My mortgage is 120,000, there I have written it down. Arghhhhh!!!
Have been in touch with mortgage company to do internet banking,waiting for my passwords.
Thats it for now. Please be gentle with me :p
M xx

Comments

• use cashback sites and have a look at the 'matchedbetting' thread.write down all your payments each month and ask yourself if you really need to be paying them all.When purchasing something ask yourself Do i need it? Can i afford it? will i use it?
    Good luck with your plan.
    Mortgage free:beer:

[/COLOR]
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello and welcome :)

We went from a £34k mtge to a £130K mortgage - so I can understand where you are coming from! :D

As Matt says, cashback sites for everything. I don't do matched betting - can't get my head around it, but there's lots of help on the boards. Ebay/ amazon anything not nailed down. Surveys/ daily clicks (use any vouchers for presents and put equivalent money as an OP) Go on the freebies/ grabbit boards and get things that you can use in presents - saving money. Watch grocery spends (consider joining the grocery challenge - we're now spending £300/ mth less AND have an extra mouth to feed :D) BUT allow yourself to live a little - all work and no fun will make being a MFW a chore...

Look at the cashback sites for offers where you get more than you spend - eg I had £15 cashback from depositing £10 with jackpotjoy - and also won some money. I now only do the daily free game and win little bits on there - but it all adds up!

Good luck with your quest! :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • gerbiljo
    gerbiljo Posts: 848 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    good luck!
    Mortgage November 2003 was £135k, but thanks to this website on 28/08/12 we became MORTGAGE FREE!
    Now just over 2 years we have taken on the challenge again! )(starting £237k Nov 2014) Current mortgage £232,399.82, current overpayment total £1550, years remaining= 17
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Welcome to MFW Rose-t :)
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • good luck on your journey,
    i joined yesterday so hopefully there is always some friendly people waiting to help,,us..
    £176,000 January 2014
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    :wave:Hello and welcome :wave:

The most important thing to do is what you have already done - i.e. decide to tackle it! People go about it in a variety of different ways, some chuck every penny at it but most find a balance which suits them. For example, today I spent £2 on a latte, and because it is rare for me it was a real treat. Others wouldn't dream of doing it, others do it every day as that is their treat. It's up to you really.

Are you working? Could you do mystery shopping? Any books you could sell on Amazon? Anything to ebay?

Good luck!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Good luck Rose-T. I am new here too and everyone here is really lovely!!
    Mortgage Balance at start July 2010 - £170,000.00 :eek:
    Current Balance - £169,305.15 :j
    Savings toward overpaying - £269.98 :T

Weight to lose by 6th Nov 2010 - 12lb
    Weight lost - -3lb:mad:
  • liuhut
    liuhut Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Good luck with your journey. I'm trying to watch what I spend but also increase my income, I'm doing extra hours at work and OH has just got a new job with a payrise..planning on saving the extra income.
    Also have a look on the competition threads, there is loads of stuff to win that you can use for b'day presents & xmas...
    L x
    WIN £2008 in 2008 £1836.31 2009 wins - £91!!! 2010 wins in Oz $ 6170.... wins 2011 aprox $2000
    MFIT - number 37. Reduce my mortgage from £63,500 to £48,000. now at 54,000...
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just wanted to pop in and say Hello and welcome, You seem very sensible wanting to OP your new mortgage straight away, I wish I had been that switched on all those years ago, Good luck!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. Matched betting was mentioned but I have admit this scares me a bit. I am not a gambling woman
    Can I ask a quick question? Do all you peeps who OP your mortgage have the recommended 3-6 months emergency savings. I don't at the moment. But the rates are so low at the mo and I don't know whether to or not. Any thoughts????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure