encouragement please!!!

Options
ive been visiting this site for a long time now just wish id found it a lot sooner!! i want to give everyone a big :T for facing up to their problems and actually helping and supporting others your all fab!
last year when i was 6 months pregnant i had to tell my husband that i had managed to get myself into £41000 of debt - one loan and a massive eleven credit cards!! it was the worst time of my life and the disappointment i could see in his face was truly horrible, however lucky me he stayed with me we remortgaged the house and he never throws this back in my face he is truly fantastic- anyway sorry to ramble-we are moving house in two weeks time and increasing our mortgage to £177,000 although it is a lovely house it wouldnt be where we would have chosen had we had the extra £40,000 that we should have made on this house my point is i want to make overpayments on this mortgage so that i can start to pay back what i have added so that in a few years we can have our dream house do you think this is a realistic aim???? think i just need someone to say go for it if that makes sense then i can put a big effort in
thanks for reading my ramble carry on the good work

debts to clear
£70 cataloge
£42 next
£104 avon
£177,000 massive mortgage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stepchange dmp £6350
Debt free date jul 2021

Emergency fund needs refuelling!

Aiming for a debt free stress free life with some money in the bank!

Comments

• second_chance
    second_chance Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    forgot car loan £215 pm until may 2009!!!!!
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!!!! Well done for facing up to what has happened in the past, and looking for a way forward!!! Have you read the mortgage pig post? It is a wonderful idea, im on my second month of having one, and it is a brilliant way to encourage savings for a reason (my case is my mortgage, i have a friend who has one for a dream holiday!!).
    Good luck, and keep following your dreams, you will get there if you really want to!
  • second_chance
    Options
    thanks so much!! im addicted to this site now and will certainly give the mortgage pig a go im determined to change for the better and work hard to give my daughter a debt free good quality of life just hope i dont fall back into bad habits as you can see from my debts to clear the temptation is always there but together we can all do it hwrah to us all!!!
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• halloweenqueen_2
    halloweenqueen_2 Posts: 3,312 Forumite
    Options
    Go for it second chance, I am a regular on aliasojo's mortgage pig thread and I've paid off a good amount in the last few months. Don't be too hard on yourself now, its done and you have faced up to it.
    Every pound helps so if you can save money on cleaning or food or whatever that can go towards catalogue money you owe and its money you won't have missed. Persoannly i would ditch the catalogues and go to primark or peacocks if you can, ditch avon and use sites like cosmetic direct if you really have to - or join pigsback and earn free vouchers for boots, so you will be getting your makeup free for clicks!
  • second_chance
    Options
    yes im going to throw the catalouges now!! and i have just joined pigsback so i will save my rewards for the boots voucher-a very good suggestion-its funny but i feel on a high today glad i made the step to post x
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• Everest
    Everest Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Second Chance - you are doing the right thing! You sound very much to be going in the right direction.

I believe that if you want something badly enough, and you are prepared to put the graft in, you can attain it. It may not come as quickly as you would like, there may be pain on the way, but when you get what you have set your heart on, it will be worth it. You will get your dream house.

Never forget the situation you have been in the past year or so. Remember the mistakes you have made and how they have affected your life. Do this so you never make those mistakes again, and also so that when you achieve what you are setting out to achieve, you can look back with pride at how you are now making things better for you and your family.

Heck, I didn't mean for this post to sound so preachy, what I mean to say is:

Good on you Second Chance!!!

I hope your baby is well.
    There may be no I in TEAM but there's a ME if you look hard enough!
  • second_chance
    Options
    thank you!! will keep your post in mind when i start to get the spending itch!!!my baby is very well and im soo happy i sorted it out before her arrival i really thought there was no hope for me and im determined to make this work as a thanks to my hubs for his support!!!need to start clearing those catalouge debts now so i can start my mortgage quest-its funny even though i know i never want to be in that situation again and i know my hubby would not be so forgiving again i still managed to start again whats wrong with me????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so no more i must remember my goal and when im having a bad day and want to order half of next i will turn to you
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    You'll have to visualize you turning the key in the front door of your dream house when you get the urge to spend!
  • second_chance
    Options
    Hi Everyone Its Me Again I Decided Today To Write Down Exactly What I Owe So I Could Start To Pay Them Off And Than Start On My Mortgage Free Aim - Although My Goal Remains The Same After Writing Down What I Owe I Realise I Have More Work Than I Thought To Do And Now Feel A Bit Down About The Whole Thing Sorry I Know I Sound Very Sorry For Myself!!!!
    Dfs,comet And The Credit Card Should Be Paid Off With The Money From Sale Of House Its Just The Others That Are Worrying Me!
    Im Never Going To Spend Like This Again Its Just Sooo Stupid (giving Myself Huge Slap) I Will Take All Your Advice And Continue With My Quest It Will Just Take A Bit Longer Than I Thought
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Have a look at Ehallhets thread - can i pay a debt a month, may give you some ideas. If you can pay off one of them this month it will be a start! the £530 one from Comet - is that one of those that skyrockets if you don't pay it within the 0% interest time? If so I would try and get rid of that first.
    Keep going, it will pan out in the end!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport