Halifax £1000 cashback - how does it work?

Options
Halifax are currently offering £1000 cashback on completion, paid to the conveyancer.

Does anyone have any experience of how this works in practice?

Do they send the £1000 through with the mortgage funds, effectively meaning I can send £1000 less to the solicitor. Or will the solicitor have to refund the £1000 to me at some point after completion?

I will ask the solicitor, but they obviously aren't open on a Sunday.

Comments

• Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Do they send the £1000 through with the mortgage funds, effectively meaning I can send £1000 less to the solicitor.

Yes, that's exactly it
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • darkman13
    darkman13 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Is this available ony direct or via broker too?
  • Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Via brokers too
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Dont get pulled in by the cashback. I am not saying it is a bad deal, but someone came to me last week thinking it was unbeatable. I managed to find 3 deals that were over £1k cheaper and he best of the 3 had no cashback.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Dont get pulled in by the cashback. I am not saying it is a bad deal, but someone came to me last week thinking it was unbeatable. I managed to find 3 deals that were over £1k cheaper and he best of the 3 had no cashback.
    Indeed. I've taken everything into account.

I'm in a bit of a situation where the number of lenders is limited:
    • borrowing 4.6x salary (but planning a large overpayment in next year or so)
    • ending job at an intergovernmental organisation with no UK tax paid for last few years
    • new job on fixed term contract
    • in probation period
    I went to two brokers. One (who did everything over the phone) came up with a slightly better deal, but this fell through at the DIP stage as he realised they only use 80% of your income when on a fixed term contract. The other broker (face to face) initially suggested a worse deal with another lender, until I asked specifically about Halifax, but he seemed reluctant to use them for some reason. Went direct to Halifax in the end, where the service has been excellent.

After the 2 year fixed deal ends, when I'm out of probation on the new job and the intergovernmental organisation stuff is all complete, I'll be able to remortgage onto a much better deal elsewhere.
  • darkman13
    darkman13 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    I was offered 5 year fix at 1.70, at 44% ltv it was ok i think
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I got mine at 1.24% at 65% ltv. But it means nothing as it all depends on the loan amount, term, fees etc etc.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure