Confused

Options
Im currently in the process of seperating from my husband, we are about to put our house up for sale and split the proceeds 50/50. My problem is that he has always been negligent with money matters and has run up quite large credit card debts (in his name only) and he has said that if we split the equity on the house in half then all debts need to be split between us also. Is this correct?

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of spending was the credit card debts?

A. Things that would clearly benefit you both (eg food for you both to eat)
    B. Things that he chose to buy that you had some benefit from (eg furniture, meals out for you both)
    C. Things that he bought for himself that you had no benefit from (eg his hobbies).

Or is it combinations of these categories? If so, rough guess, how much of each?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Monkeysee
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply. It was mainly used to pay his income tax bill. He is self employed and rather than phone the tax office and talk to them he took out a credit card.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Monkeysee wrote: »
    Im currently in the process of seperating from my husband, we are about to put our house up for sale and split the proceeds 50/50. My problem is that he has always been negligent with money matters and has run up quite large credit card debts (in his name only) and he has said that if we split the equity on the house in half then all debts need to be split between us also. Is this correct?

Hi Monkeysee - our CAB representatives aren't covering this topic at the moment. We'd urge you to get expert advice on these issues, either from your local bureau or a family law solicitor. We do have a section on our Adviceguide about ending a marriage, but it doesn't cover debts - and it's advisable to get advice on this area as quickly as possible.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure